Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Get them early, like late April/May , they come in shallow to spawn/feed. Look for dark bottoms as those areas warm first. Speaking on my experiences at Long Point, once they move out they are difficult to locate, maybe they suspend over deeper water.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I will only fish Rondeau Bay in the spring. The weeds are thick by July. There is an area where the channel from the lake comes into the bay that has good fishing. That is where I start.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We use to have a trailer located at Wildwood Park; just a few miles from the bay. My son and I spent a lot of time fishing the bay. We'd launch our 12 foot tinny and 9.9 motor at the public launch just inside the Provincial Park entrance. From there we'd head to Shrewsbury ramp and then drift whatever way the breeze took us. A simple setup of a hook, sinker and a chunk of worm was all we needed. A torn in half worm worked better: blood sent?  Blue gills loved it and we'd catch a whack of them. Keep enough of the plate sized for supper and let the rest go back to grow up. If the wind was up, we'd head to the strip of shore line West Erieau channel to the main lake and anchor; wait a few minutes for a hit; if no hits we'd move a few hundred yards and keep doing that until we were on top a school. Haven't fished Rondeau for a number of years; last time it was so weedy I couldn't go a 1/4 mile without clearing the boat's prop.

Dan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DanD said:

We use to have a trailer located at Wildwood Park; just a few miles from the bay. My son and I spent a lot of time fishing the bay. We'd launch our 12 foot tinny and 9.9 motor at the public launch just inside the Provincial Park entrance. From there we'd head to Shrewsbury ramp and then drift whatever way the breeze took us. A simple setup of a hook, sinker and a chunk of worm was all we needed. A torn in half worm worked better: blood sent?  Blue gills loved it and we'd catch a whack of them. Keep enough of the plate sized for supper and let the rest go back to grow up. If the wind was up, we'd head to the strip of shore line West Erieau channel to the main lake and anchor; wait a few minutes for a hit; if no hits we'd move a few hundred yards and keep doing that until we were on top a school. Haven't fished Rondeau for a number of years; last time it was so weedy I couldn't go a 1/4 mile without clearing the boat's prop.

Dan.

Dan thank you very much for the response, I appreciate it. I definitely got hit with the fishing bug, probably because no ice where I’m at. But I will def be going up that way to try.  I also practice catch/release with anything other than the walleye.  But thanks again for the help! 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RookieReeler17 said:

 I also practice catch/release with anything other than the walleye.

If you like a few meals of fish every once and awhile, you should try Bluegills. Just as good (IMO) as walleye or perch. Plus you'll be surprised at how much meat these flat buggers give up after cleaning them. 

Dan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanD said:

If you like a few meals of fish every once and awhile, you should try Bluegills. Just as good (IMO) as walleye or perch. Plus you'll be surprised at how much meat these flat buggers give up after cleaning them. 

Dan.

Crappie is right up there too, better than Erie Walleyes IMHO

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 years ago most pan fish that we call them now were thought of as garbage fish that were thrown back or up on shore to die. Who knows 30 years from now will the goby be a sought after fish? I sure hope we don't want to eat a mouth foaming spawn from the devil!. LOL

Dan.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...