Something not right with the MAD RIVER

misfish

I like to fish this trib a few times a year. Up in the escarpments. Always fly fishing as I like it and it,s a challenge to me . Today the river bottom and the water color was way off. I was slipping on rocks walking. They seemed to have a slime on them. Water was way to cold and it was way to early for this type of findings. As for the color, it looked like it had just rain the night before,but no rain has been had in days.  I fished 4 different section, and my findings were the same. And the bite was not like it use to be. I would always get 6" smolts or 12 inch fish . I had 2 takes this morning and they were very small.  Wonder what is going on ? All areas I fished had lots of fast water and rocky bottom.

The highlight of the morning was casting and really concentrating on my approach and landings ,when I was startled by a huge splash only 40 ft beside be. A doe had jumped down off a 6ft bank into the river. I was taken back and froze. Luckily I was up wind and she just stood there looking at me . Not sure what to make of it . I  grab the camera slowly, click the on button to take a video and sure as crap,it goes beep, beep, and well,she snorts and runs off. I love those moments.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BillM said:

The drainage basin for that river gets a lot of farm run off.  It never looks like you expect it to.   You can take a peak at the NVCA watershed report if you want some more details.   

I thought you might chime in Bill. I have never seen this before. Been fishing it for many years now. Even during the warmer spells past , the bottom was never this slimy.  I will add though, the new addition of a few fallen timbers ,have made for some nice holdings for fish . Only problem is, they  steal my  stones and leeches..

The 2 that did take, were on my Cahills. That was a good feeling. I do need to add more hackle, so they float better. :Gonefishing:

2 minutes ago, mitch seguin said:

Had a look at the report Bill refers to,  "stream status:poor ; trend:declining" .  " Runoff from agricultural lands and urban areas are the main sources of high nutrient concentrations. " Not good.

Yes I looked as well. Not good at all. I use it for flow and water levels, never for drainage.

Edited by misfish