Back Lakes Bass Opener

Hookset

Hi All,

This Bass opener was pretty special for me. This was the 22nd year that one of my best Bud's and I have spent opening Bass together. It's special because my bud was in a car accident this winter and broke his back. At the time he thought there was no way he would be able to fish by the opener. I was just happy that there was no paralysis. Well, he's a tough little bugger, and with therapy and determination he was ready to roll come opening day. Another issue for me was that I lost my Dad to Cancer this past January. It's been a hard time for my family and all my Bud and I could talk about heading in to the opener is how great it was going to be on opening morning to just sit there for a few moments and remember the good times and how lucky we both are to be doing what we love for the 22nd year in a row. I bought my Dad a new baitcaster and rod for Christmas but he never got the chance to use it. Guess which rod and reel I used first that day lol.

Anyway, to the fishing....

We hit four of our favourite back lakes, one each day, from Saturday to Tuesday. Our first lake produced pretty good but no real big fish. Nothing worthy of pictures anyway. Here's a pic of my Buddy on opening morning before we even took a cast. The smile on his face pretty much sums up how we both felt that morning.

IM000949.jpg

Here are a couple of scenery shots of the Lake. We caught fish on everything we threw but it was tough fishing. We caught over 40 Bass but no real lunkers.

IM000950redone.jpg

IM000951.jpg

Days 3 and 4 were pretty much the same for us as the first day. Good fishing, but slower than normal. Possibly due to the heat. And boy was it hot !!!

Day 2 was another story. We caught some nice Bass throughout the day. This lake has both Largies and Smallies and the bait of choice seemed to be soft plastic jerks in black or watermelon with black/red fleck. Then the sun started to set and the water literally started to explode.

The lake we were on has fantastic shorlines. Deep with wood every few feet. But the best feature is a string of mid lake humps that runs almost the entire length of the lake. We hit the humps right when the sun began to set and started hammering Smallies on topwater baits. Here's a pic of a fair Smallie that I caught just before we hit the humps.

IM000952.jpg

When we got to the humps, fish were exploding on bait fish and insects all around us. Every few seconds fish would boil and we'd throw a topwater at the spot. Bang, fish on...almost every time. I wish I had taken more pics but I was having too much fun. Then just before it was time to go my buddy threw his Chug Bug at a boil only 20 feet from the boat. The fish hit at about 10 feet from the boat. What a show!!!!!. It tailwalked straight at the boat and slammed off the side, knocking a couple rods out of the way and showering us both with water. It jumped 4 times and caused chaos like only a big Smallie can. My bud grabbed the fish and we got a couple of pics. She was 20" long and fat.

IM000953.jpg

It was a great end to a great day.

Here's another pic of her. I bet my Bud didn't feel the pain in his back for a while after this one.

IM000954.jpg

It was a great 4 days. And I feel pretty lucky to have been able to continue the string of Bass Opener's with my Bud. As bad as things can seem sometimes, it takes only a few special things to make it all worth while.

Hookset

Wow...what a great report and a very special time! Through all the adversity over the past year, you guys came out on top. Even if you didn't catch any fish, I'm sure this opener would have still ranked among the best for you guys.

Congrats and great pics!

Wow, what a great few days...those fish are NICE! I'll take one of your slow days anytime :D Great pics and glad to hear your Bud was able to recover and able to join you...from the looks of a couple of those fish I'd say your Dad was with you as well.

Maureen