2003-04 explorer or envoy/trailblazer?

bow slayer

I have an 02 Explorer and have had several issues with the driveshaft and noisy rear end gears. The 02's to '04's have the same aluminum drive shafts. At highway speed, feel if there is any vibration in the driver's seat. My gear noise was also at highway speed of around 100km. The rest of the vehicle I like.

Alan

I had an 03 trailblazer and loved it.

Now I have an 05 trailblazer with the extra row of seats ( seating for 8) and love it , tows my 20' boat no problems and lots of cargo room.

Not the best on gas when loaded and pulling the boat but lots of power and trailers well.

I'd go with the GM over the FORD. I like the Envoys and almost bought one last year but picked up a minivan instead cuz it made more sense. The Explorer really looked pretty much the same for 10+ years and I heard the 6 cylinder engine had problems with the timing chain breaking, needing a complete engine rebuild (happened twice to a friends '98, once under warranty, once not, with 180k on it).

Simply from experience of my parents cars (many as we tend to flip them every 2 or 3 years) the ford is a MUCH better option. We had 4 fords in a row and never had any major repair problems, we now have 2 GMs in the driveway and every month one of them is in the shop for some piece of crap part that just decided to stop working. And geuss what, one of them is a cadillac.

I for one, will never purchase a GM untill they revise the plan and stop making cars the blow up 3 minutes after the warrantee is up!

Edited by kemper

I've been using GMC/Chev for the last 8 years and haven't looked back. I have a buddy with a Trailblazer that tows a 20 foot bass boat and loves it. They may use a bit more gas but don't sound like they are going to fall apart like every Ford I have been in or driven.

JP

I've been using GMC/Chev for the last 8 years and haven't looked back. I have a buddy with a Trailblazer that tows a 20 foot bass boat and loves it. They may use a bit more gas but don't sound like they are going to fall apart like every Ford I have been in or driven.

JP

Hey hey hey,no need for low blows here pal.LOL

I tow with an 03 Trailblazer and the power is far better than the Explorer.I use to tow with a 96 Exployer and

wasn't happy with the tow power of the Ford. The Chev has lots of power to spare and tows nicer too.. The

Trailblazer is hard on gas though.I agree with JPD about the Chev pulling a 20 footer with no problem.I tow my 17.5 footer and can hardly notice it's there.

Edited by mart

Here is a choice to THINK about. http://www.toyota.com/tundra/index.html?s_...TN_TUNDRA_INDEX

This might even cost you less and have a MUCH better resale. They are selling like hot cakes here in the USA. You should be able to get one in Canada.

I am waiting for mine to arrive tomorrow. You can get it in the NEW 5.7 L engine with a six speed tranny or the 4.7 L engine with a five speed tranny. It will haul and out tow ANY 1/2 ton truck out there and with either the double cab or crew cab you have PLENTY of room for the rest of the tribe. At least take one for a ride.

Bob

thanks for the replies. If it were up to me I would go for the Nissan Pathfinder. I test drove a 2003 last week and it was great. Rode and handled much nicer than the explorer or trailblazer/envoy.The problem is it only seats 5 were the other 2 can seat seven which comes into play when the kids hgockey season starts up. I will be pulling a 12ft tent trailer and 16 ft starcraft.So far sounds like the GM owners are satisfied.