Jump to content

beenfishing

Upper Buckhorn Lake Fishing

Recommended Posts

Has anyone been fishing on Upper Buckhorn Lake this season? I'm heading there in a week or so and was curious about what luck people have had...I think technically I'll be on Lovesick Lake.

 

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i know this is as confusing as hell, because Upper buckhorn, is actually the southern buckhorn, while lower buckhorn is the northern buckhorn...sounds to me like you are fishing east of lower buckhorn feeding into stoney lake. aka lovesick lake.

From my understanding the reason that the northern buckhorn is called "lower" is because it is downstream in the kawarthas, with the water flowing from west to east towards lake ontario.

Ive done a lot of fishing on upper buckhorn this year and pigeon. The bass are biting and there are loads of walleye. Things are a bit tougher now though with the insanely warm weather that we have had. I would suggest chasing largies over smallies. Been some bigger fish caught this year...especially after the past 3 years where we really struggled to get any size, things have rebounded a bit.

Edited by AKRISONER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

 feeding into stoney lake. aka lovesick lake.

 

Just an FYI but Stoney & Lovesick are 2 totally different lakes and Stoney is NOT aka as Lovesick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, lew said:

Just an FYI but Stoney & Lovesick are 2 totally different lakes and Stoney is NOT aka as Lovesick.

i realize what i can be said can be misinterpreted. I was referring to the area of lower buckhorn which feeds into lovesick, which then feeds into stoney.

 

My bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it can become somewhat confusing with all the locks on the system connecting different lakes and then having 2 lakes next door to each other both known as Buckhorn.

Edited by lew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

i know this is as confusing as hell, because Upper buckhorn, is actually the southern buckhorn, while lower buckhorn is the northern buckhorn...sounds to me like you are fishing east of lower buckhorn feeding into stoney lake. aka lovesick lake.

From my understanding the reason that the northern buckhorn is called "lower" is because it is downstream in the kawarthas, with the water flowing from west to east towards lake ontario.

Ive done a lot of fishing on upper buckhorn this year and pigeon. The bass are biting and there are loads of walleye. Things are a bit tougher now though with the insanely warm weather that we have had. I would suggest chasing largies over smallies. Been some bigger fish caught this year...especially after the past 3 years where we really struggled to get any size, things have rebounded a bit.

Thanks Akrisoner. I've never fished in the Kawarthas and I'm looking forward to this trip. Good to know the fish are biting :) I've never caught a Walleye..so I'll have to brush up on my Walleye catching skills and pick up a few new lures for the trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, beenfishing said:

Thanks Akrisoner. I've never fished in the Kawarthas and I'm looking forward to this trip. Good to know the fish are biting :) I've never caught a Walleye..so I'll have to brush up on my Walleye catching skills and pick up a few new lures for the trip.

find any weed edge in 15fow and throw a drop shot...I caught 5 in a day on saturday by accident while fishing in a bass tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2018 at 11:34 AM, AKRISONER said:

find any weed edge in 15fow and throw a drop shot...I caught 5 in a day on saturday by accident while fishing in a bass tournament.

What lake and what tourny?  I live on Upper Buckhorn and am curious ..... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

What lake and what tourny?  I live on Upper Buckhorn and am curious ..... :)

Pigeon, Theona tournament

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My buddy and I were on Pigeon on Saturday.  We explored some of the north end, closer to the entrance of Bald Lake.  It sure was a very windy day out there.

Didn't know there was a tournament going on (but not surprised, they seem to always going on).  Never heard of the Theona tournament though.  I guess that is just for the residents of that trailer park?  I live across the bay next to Kawartha Hideaway.  :)

He did well that day.  A couple really nice ones.  I'm afraid I was just the net man that day.  :(

 

Bosco - 2 Bass.JPG

Edited by TheKawarthaAngler
because I felt like it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheKawarthaAngler said:

My buddy and I were on Pigeon on Saturday.  We explored some of the north end, closer to the entrance of Bald Lake.  It sure was a very windy day out there.

Didn't know there was a tournament going on (but not surprised, they seem to always going on).  Never heard of the Theona tournament though.  I guess that is just for the residents of that trailer park?  I live across the bay next to Kawartha Hideaway.  :)

He did well that day.  A couple really nice ones.  I'm afraid I was just the net man that day.  :(

 

Bosco - 2 Bass.JPG

i realize now that you are referencing this past saturday and not the saturday prior.

I was fishing the north east end myself that weekend. Was a tough smallie bite, we found them but it was too little too late. The guys killed it on buckhorn for largies in the pads though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

i realize now that you are referencing this past saturday and not the saturday prior.

I was fishing the north east end myself that weekend. Was a tough smallie bite, we found them but it was too little too late. The guys killed it on buckhorn for largies in the pads though.

 

I vaguely remember someone telling you not to worry about the water temp for largies and fish swallow. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

I vaguely remember someone telling you not to worry about the water temp for largies and fish swallow. lol

we were chasing smallies and paid dearly for it lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Similar Topics

    • Lake Erie walleye factory

      Hi there! Looks like a great year for walleye fishing and Erie is one of the best places to go for them . Been lately on a few occasions my buddies and we limit by noon every single time . It didn't matter if it was wavy or still, trolling was the ticket. We had several double header, even a few triple headers... Cheers! Gino

      in General Discussion

    • Dickie lake Baysville?

      Hello All,  I'm heading up to Dickie lake in a couple of weeks, and can't seem to find to much info on it.  Any idea what I should expect, types of fish,. numbers, size, etc? Any tips, or spots greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

      in General Discussion

    • carp fishing kawartha lakes/London area.

      Hello, thanks for letting me join. I’m from England but I’m coming out to Canada, Ontario for 2 weeks in September. It’s not a fishing holiday but some fishing will definitely be happening. Has anyone got any advice on areas I should visit to try and catch a better carp as when I was out before caught lots of smaller ones so wanted to try and get one over 20lb! Also advice on what licences I need would be great. we are staying a few days in London, then travelling to the kawartha lakes area

      in General Discussion

    • Fishing the Yukon June 2019

      We have been to the Yukon several times but Alaska was new. My wife Leslie, hurt her back on an ATV ride in to a remote lake so that stopped fishing for about a week. We only fished together 2 days of the nine days in the Yukon. She insisted I do an overnighter alone so I got an extra two days in. Climate change is messing things up...they only had four inches of snow all winter and most of that was in April. One lake was so low that most of the pike habitat was dry

      in General Discussion

    • Gull lake (near Northbrook) 2nd week in September

      looks like we will be up there September 7th or 8th for a week. I was wondering what lures may be best to try. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

      in General Discussion

×
×
  • Create New...