Fun day on lake Simcoe (gilford)

huzzsaba

Got out for some ice fishing on Thursday with a friend (his first time ever ice fishing).  We went out with gilford yellow huts.  The bite was decent from the time we reached there until 11 am. We caught on the first drop of the line.  2nd drop caught my PB perch. was around 13 inch jumbo!

The bite shut down until 2pm and then slowly picked up. from 3:45 to 4:30 it was non stop action. We couldn't  take our eyes off our lines.  As soon as we send a fresh minnows down, we would get bite!  We felt like string puppeteers lol. Most were smaller size perch but well worth it! 

During the above mentioned rush hour, I was looking down the hole and saw a grayish looking fish circling around my minnow.  It finally took the bait and I reeled in my my first ever Herring!  Beautiful fish and very aggressive on the bite.

We had a CO visit us as well  Good thing I reminded my friend tor renew his license on the drive up to Gilford! First time ever getting a visit from CO on the ice!

Was not the most productive day size wise, but indeed a day to remember! I think its safe my friend is sold on ice fishing! in the end we hooked probably 30 fish.:D

Edited by huzzsaba

On 1/27/2018 at 2:11 PM, GBW said:

Nice job to have some fun and turn a buddy into an ice fishing buddy too.  

7 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

glad you guys caught some decent ones. Maybe your friend will get addicted and you will have a new fishing partner

Thanks.

I have got a few fishing buddies but none as patient as this one.  We have gone on at least 8-10 trips in the last few years (shore fishing) and poor guy never caught a thing despite doing everything right! Yet he never gives up and even encourages me on the slow days.

He caught his first perch that day and the smile on his face was priceless.  He was telling me how that first fish was what made the whole trip worth it.  He had to take the day off work and I was glad it paid off. :):Gonefishing:

Edited by huzzsaba

1 hour ago, huzzsaba said:

Thanks.

I have got a few fishing buddies but none as patient as this one.  We have gone on at least 8-10 trips in the last few years (shore fishing) and poor guy never caught a thing despite doing everything right! Yet he never gives up and even encourages me on the slow days.

He caught his first perch that day and the smile on his face was priceless.  He was telling me how that first fish was what made the whole trip worth it.  He had to take the day off work and I was glad it paid off. :):Gonefishing:

Thats when you know you are fishing crazy...basically for me, my aim is to catch one fish...everything from there is just a bonus...if you can get skunked and still have a good time, then that is everything.