Canadian golfer 2 shots back at Open, sort of

Austin Connelly a Canadian and European Tour regular is 2 shots back of American Jordon Speith after first round play shooting a 3 under 67 at the Open Golf Championship at Royal Birkdale. Sort of. He was born, raised and lives in Irving Texas complete with his southern drawl. His father was born in T.O. and Austin has spent all of his summers with his Grand Parents outside of Halifax N.S since birth. He's as Canadian as I am American because my mother was born there. To read about Austin, who has been hitting balls since the age of 18 months the link is below. He has played as an American as well as Canadian. He's just a little guy that hits a straight ball. To say he's Canadian is a stretch I think.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/golf/person-interest-canadian-austin-connelly-set-make-open-debut/

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yeah, growing up golf was always an upper crust, snobby gentleman's sport at a fancy private country club with strict dress codes, most blue collar workers preferred bowling and a few brews , colourful silk looking bowling shirts and bowling shoes with a matching ball bag. Somewhere around 1970 golf started to gain support among the working class and courses proliferated in former farmers fields, I , for the life of me, don't see why,

As an angler and Skateboarder, I really love golf.

You can't master it.

It has most of the elements of fishing too

And Canadians usually root for Canadians, so I get that

My personal favorite though is Jordan spieth. Not only is he a great golfer, but he's young, rarely drinks(youde be amazed how many pro golfers are drunks/alcoholics), and he tips his caddies very well