Big Whitefish Lake (Humphrey) - Small Fishing Report

hutch4113

This is a small report, as I was only there for the day. Also did not get to do much fishing, as had a lot of Family to take around on Boat Tours. Didn't mind really as the weather was a bit iffy - and frankly I thought the fishing would be slow.

However I did get out for about an hour or so, and decided to concentrate on two Shoals in Big Whitefish (was at a Cottage in Little Whitefish). Interestingly while I did have a Chart, neither Shoal was marked on it. The one was particularly dangerous - really surprised it was not marked by someone on the lake, since the it was just below the water, and not easy to spot.

At any rate, I really had no idea what was in the Lake, other that Bass. I had caught 2 small ones, and had a couple of swipes, but nothing much.

​Then this guy hit like a Tank. I cannot recall a stronger initial bite, nor fight. I was reeling in and actually had to tighten my drag up because it did not want to come up to the surface. I hand bombed the fish into the Boat (even though I had a net) and the line snapped just as I got him in. That part was strange, but I was having issues with line and twist.

Not a monster by any means:

20170703_181046.jpg

But for my first time out this year, on a new body of water, and for the fight - > it was worth it. :clapping:

I've been tempted to fish that lake over the years but can't to terms with using the perilous public launch off of Tallyhoe Swords Rd. It is the scariest launch I've ever seen !!

Did you launch there or @ marina? Any idea what the marina charges for launch & parking?

Edited by pikeslayer

I launched at the Marina. Decent launch - $15.00 and $15.00 out. They let me park my Trailer there - no issues. Also told me if they were not around (which they weren't) how to open the Gate and move the Truck parked in front of the Gate, so I could get out.