Catch A Dream Kids Fishing Derby

oldphart

~~~A big 2 thumbs up the David Chong, The North GTA club, plus Bass Pro for putting on a great event, there were over 50 some boaters who showed up and a lot more kids with Parents, I had some battery problems, and by the time I got it corrected they had run out of kids (Drat)

~~~The event was one of many activity set up by the Make A Wish Foundation. Bass Pro Shop help out a lot with prizes for the Catch a Dream Kids Fishing Derby. Check out David Chong, FB page and he reported that they will be announcing next year event in Sept.

Read on another board, it was a great time for all. One that has participated, I can say the smiles on the kids, is heart felt. David and the rest have done a great job with this event for many years now.

But there seems to be money grabbers at work for the future of this giving event.

This is truly a great event but for next year Sibald Park wants to charge over $3000.00 for the use of the park. It would seem to me that there are some causes worthy of supporting even by our Provincial Parks.

This was my reply

Now for my rant on this cost to hold them at these parks.

WAKE THE HELL UP.

Ya I understand we do it for them, we got to do it for the rest.

SO WHAT.

SUPPORT THE CAUSE.

No one is pocketing this cash. It goes back into the communities. Unlike the charge you want to charge to hold this event. In your pockets. Money grabbing ignorance.

Edited by Misfish

Huge thanks & kudos to you for making it out to this year's event, oldphart! Glad that you got your boat issues figured out! Sorry that we ran out of kids, unfortunately we had 8 matches not show up. There are over 300 pics of the event provided by Peter Yeung, please check them out on & like our Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/CatchADreamKidsFishingDerby/

More info about the event can be found on our website as well, www.catchadream.ca

This was the 13th annual "Catch a Dream!" Kids Fishing Derby and is held in support of Big Brothers Big Sisters & the "Make A Wish!" Foundation! This year's event was a great success as has been our previous 12 events! Special thanks to all the boaters, volunteers & sponsors who make this event a possibility!

As for Ontario Parks and Sibbald Point Provincial Park, we have held this event there for 7 out of the 13 years. Other than our first year in 2005, we have paid a nominal fee for the use of the park for this very worthwhile event! Although we negotiated a lower fee for this year's event, they want to revert to the normal daily fee per vehicle for next year's event. At a minimum of 250 vehicles at $14 each, that is a total of $3,500.00 this is a amount that we can not justify paying a government agency who apparently has a mandate to get more kids fishing! We will be forced to find a more reasonable site to hold this amazing event next year. Feel free to offer suggestions!

_PYP6113_zpsvpojnfcv.jpg

_PYP5605_zpsjb2p96s4.jpg