Algonquin

RAO

I just got back Wed night from 6 days canoeing and portaging the back country out of Cedar lake, Brent. We went up the Petawawa to Catfish and came out the Nippissing. Water levels were about 2' high. Rivers were fast but not impossible to navigate, just a little more care to the portage exits and entrances.

Fishing was good for the most part. When it was raining we didn't catch but did the rest of the time.

Caught fish every day except for Monday when it poured but other days were good and some nice ones as well

That is what I am afraid of. Also places to launch. If anyone is going up this weekend let me know how things are.

In the current rainfall warning for Peterborough (available at the time of writing here: http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?on8#142333685242956370201705040503ww1171cwto)

it lists some of the rainfall totals received as of 2pm, including the east gate of Algonquin. They haven't had nearly as much rain there as other places (so far):
Rainfall totals as of 2 PM:
Trenton 51.8 mm
Coburg 48.3 mm
Point Petre 40.9 mm
Kingston 35.1 mm
Peterborough 33.8 mm
Bancroft 25.3 mm
Algonquin Park East Gate 17.6 mm
Edited by MJIG

The rainfall we are having will definitely change conditions. A few park folks told me the launches were mostly overrun. The roads we traveled were better on the way in than on the way out. 2 days of steady rain caused a few washouts. This was on Brent road.

I just got back Wed night from 6 days canoeing and portaging the back country out of Cedar lake, Brent. We went up the Petawawa to Catfish and came out the Nippissing. Water levels were about 2' high. Rivers were fast but not impossible to navigate, just a little more care to the portage exits and entrances.

Fishing was good for the most part. When it was raining we didn't catch but did the rest of the time.

Caught fish every day except for Monday when it poured but other days were good and some nice ones as well

I envy you.. Ive done that trip 5 times.. usually labour day weekend.. usually more moose than fish lol.. how were the specks in the river??

Didn't fish the rivers but we have passed guys who were and they said fishing was good. We make a bee line for our lake and site and fish it and make day trips to other connecting lakes. Fishing was good but the weather not so cooperative. We do a similar trip every year. Great fun!

Well me and my friend got back from Algonquin yesterday. It was very wet Saturday and Sunday as it rained a fair bit of the time. On Saturday and Sunday we caught absolutly nothing - not even a bite. Wonder if the rain had something to do with things, as well as the cold weather as the fish were not in the shallows like I was hoping. Friday was a different story as we managed 3 lake trout. I caught my first two ever! Thanks to all who made suggestions.

RAO