Lower French 2016

bigcreekdad

Took three trips this season. Water levels lowest I've seen.

On the first trip, I did not catch a single walleye (although we were casting for muskie quite a bit). I usually do quite well in that water using a basic deer hair jig tipped with a worm for walleye from early season til early July. Although water was low there were very few weeds. Ended up having my best success tossing the basic 2-3" Rebel PopR.... bass (obviously released), a few pike, and actually raised three muskie! Two were hooked and landed...small...34" and 22". Had one fish boil on the popper and then follow to the boat...good fish...maybe high 40's.

Second trip over the 4th of July. Although I threw the buck tail jig, again I caught no walleye. The Rebel PopR continued to dredge up bass and pike, and even one more muskie which broke off...line must have been nicked as the fish looked to only be mid 30's. Saw two more muskie....one swiped at a bass I was bringing in, and one followed a muskie topwater to the boat but scooted as I started my figure 8. Weeds were still not up to prior year standards.

Third trip was last week. Water lower still, and hot....6 days of mid to high 80's and way too much sun. finally caught some walleye with night crawlers in deep holes...nothing above the slot. Only fair bass fishing , and not nearly as big as I've had in prior years...only one fish hit 17". Pike were few and far between. I cast muskie plugs early and late with nary a sighting. THe bays that usually held fish were now only a few feet deep. and pretty much devoid of fish.

The water levels (low) over the last few years in the lower French (below the Chaudiere dams) are really starting to concern me. Has anyone else been in that area this year, and, if so, what have you experienced?

Has anyone else been in that area this year, and, if so, what have you experienced?

We were north of there on the West Arm of Nippissing in June for the 1st week of muskie and the weeds were practically non-existent which is really strange for that time of year and the muskie were few and far between.

I'm heading back up this Saturday for 2 weeks and according to a friend that's already up there the weeds are there but still don't sound like they're anywhere near normal.

Oh well, that just makes the hunt more interesting.

Edited by lew

We were at Mashkinonje in June and this next trip we're going over to Memquisit.

Lakair was sposed to re-open this past spring under the new owners but as of June it didn't appear as if it had yet. They've totally gutted a few of the cabins and re-done them and I was told last year they eventually want to re-do them all.

Rook....Mid September will find me either at Crane's or Memquisit. I'm hoping that the hot weather was partly responsible for my last trip to Lochaven. Hoping cooler temps will get the fish a bit more active.

Crane's is my favorite lodge....and I've seen some God awful big muskies there.

Edited by bigcreekdad

We'll be at Memquisit from September 10 thru the 17th. We got the little two B/R cabin right there next to the laundry. I believe this used to be the crew's area. I used to go to Wolseley, but have not been back for several years now. I k now there are big fish there, and I have seen a few. But, for the years we went there, my wife and I NEVER landed a musky. Don't understand it, but that's the way it was.

I was at bryers two weeks ago, water levels were down but not bad at all. Fishing was good for walleye,

bass and pike. Raised one muskie and lost another. Week after, i was at the west arm (mashkinonje), fishing was very slow. Caught a 32" muskie and had two brutes follow to the boat but wouldnt commit. Me and my brother chuckled as one slowly swam off but went straight into my trolling motor on the bow. Had motor issues the second week so i only fished cross to warren bay.