Where you be Wormdunker?

Old Ironmaker

Brian and I talked earlier in the week about heading out on Erie in my boat to burn some old gas and maybe catch a Walleye. So I called him late afternoon. He answered the phone and said he was out in his boat up north fishing. He had caught 7 Walters in the last hour. As we are on the phone he says " I got another Johnny D". I told him to give me the play by play over the phone.

" Holy Moly she's a big one, she's pulling line." Play her out I tell him as I know he was sitting under an umbrella in his yard sucking down a cold one.

"No I'm serious I'm on Duke Lake camping and now I have a huge fish on!!!, I think I lost it." (yea right Brian) Oh my Lord, I have a 17 inch Pic on my harness cut to shreds with the guts hanging out!! I urged him to throw it back in but Wormdunker being the good civilian wouldn't think of it. I was really only kidding,

Then when he caught his breath he told me he was going back to camp to eat his fish and catch more.

I don't mind a guy not showing up as planned but to ditch me and go limit out I have a problem with. Not that I would ever sleep in the same tent as him ever.

You better have a report with pics when you get back.

Well at least 2 guys missed me! LOL! I left Fonthill last Wednesday heading to Duke Lake & a couple different lakes for 6 days of camping & fishing. After setting up camp I was on the water at 3:00. Wow! I had a line in only 3 minutes, fish on! A small walleye. 2 minutes later a nice chunky 24". I released both feeling there was lots to land. Then a nice 16", the next 5 were only 10 -12". That's 8 & 1 small pike in only 1 1/2 hours! They were on fire! I then headed back to camp to gather firewood for the evening campfire, made dinner, then headed back out on the lake to find dinner. 5 more smaller walleye that were all released. Sorry no fish pix. I camped at Duke for 2 nights then headed to Ivanhoe Lake Provincial Park (west of Foleyet) for 2 nights. It was a bust, too windy to launch my boat, so I just hung out with neighboring campers & enjoyed a few cold pops. Very interesting people I met with & absolutely beautiful park with washrooms, hot showers & gorgeous scenery. Sunday morning I packed up & headed a little further south to Mattagami Lake. I found a nice little camp ground & set up camp for 2 more nights. I fished the north end of Mattagami to find only smaller walleye. I feel the hot weather & warm water temps at 82F were responsible for the slow fishing/ or lack of good sized eaters. I landed 6 smaller walleye in 1 1/2 days of fishing. I fished Monday from 7 am until 12 noon. At this point I had only landed 1 10" walleye. Man it was so hot I decided to break camp & head for home. I left Mattagami at 2 PM, arrived home @ 10PM. Long day! I feel the big ones have departed for deeper water & I couldn't find them. Well there's always next year. I'll definitely wait for cooler weather, I'm sure the big ones will be more plentiful.

Thanks for the report Brian the Foleyet area has a lot to offer when it comes to fishing and hunting I have done quite a few Fly ins with Air Ivanhoe great Outfitter and have stayed at Red Pine Lodge when moose hunting there are many lakes to fish off the logging roads that will offer up good fishing for Walleye and Northerns.

Cheers Mitch

Agreed Mitch. It is an awesome area to explore, lottsa lakes & beautiful scenery! I wish I knew the area better, I'm sure there is some awesome angling opportunities. I trailered my boat down Twin Lakes road about 5 kms to the Y at the snowmobile trail. At that point I was able to turn around. Good thing I did cause the trail gets very narrow & I didn't want to have scratches on my truck. I met 3 guys on atvs who had travelled another 7 kms to get some nice walleye. Foleyet is a nice little town, Red Pine is a very nice trailer park but he was booked solid. I will definitely be going back to that area in the future. It would be gorgeous in the fall!

When ever you decide to make another trip back up to Foleyet send me a PM Brian and yes it is beautiful in the fall great walleye fishing and grouse hunting I will be up in that neck of the woods in 4 weeks flying into the Chapleau Game Preserve for 7 days.

Cheers Mitch