SAGE GSH 1136-3LLB Guide spacing and sizes

ripsomelips

Hey guys, picked up a sage blank and am looking to get it built. Any suggestions on the guide spacing and sizes? Planning to go with full recoil RSPG guides starting with 16 to 7 tip top. Has anyone built one of these blanks and if so, what kind of spacing was used? Thanks guys

13516504_10154340147017028_5204468725819458205_n.jpg

I've owned 2...Still have 1 Sage GSH 1136-3LLB in the arsenal.

Both had slightly different guide spacings. The approximate spacings for both (Going by memory):

#1 : Tip, 3, 7, 12, 18. 25, 33, 42, 52, 63, 75, 88, 102, 117

#2 : Tip, 4, 9, 15, 22, 30, 39, 49, 60, 72, 85, 98, 112, 126

Both rods used Fuji YSG guides from size 7 to 16 or 20. Definitely not a fan of Recoils for any type of rod (but that's just me).

Keep in mind that the Sage rods I had/have are from the batch sold by Angling Specialties back in the 1990's. From what I've read on Facebook, the newer blanks have a more powerful line rating and are lighter than the older ones (6-12lb @ 3.7oz). If I had to guess, my Sage rods would be something similar to a slow/moderate action 4-8lb weighing in over 4oz for the blank). Can even run lighter leaders than 4lb on the rod if I wanted to.

The spacing and number of guides depends on the spine of the rod. Contact Spiel he can give you some general guidance and if you are close enough he might be able to mark it for a few bucks or beers. I do not think he can do the build for you this year if you decide he has quite the line of eager customers waiting.

Art

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated :)

I'm still deciding on type of guides and think i may do the first 2 or 3 TYSG and then rest recoils. Sounds like GLXs with recoils have line groove near the bottom... But that's probably due to the poor guide spacing from the factory.

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated :)

I'm still deciding on type of guides and think i may do the first 2 or 3 TYSG and then rest recoils. Sounds like GLXs with recoils have line groove near the bottom... But that's probably due to the poor guide spacing from the factory.

It's definitely not the guide spacing that's the problem with the GLX. The Recoils are just soft.

I've replaced the recoils on my friends' 10 and 12wt fly rods as well as a 5'6" Loomis UL and a custom 6'6" Rainshadow that had them. Grooving is just part of the package when you have Recoils.

Some guys change the tip top and the stripper guide to SIC on the factory rods with recoils.

Thanks for your input! That's what I'll be doing. Tysg for stripper, recoil guides, and some sort of fuji titanium tip top. Hopefully it'll minimize line grooving. BTW alps titanium or fuji tysg? Lol

Never used the Alps titanium but heard they are great for the $. I have used the TYSG is the past and they work well (Currently have 1 float rod with a set of TYSG).

Unless you're planning to fish saltwater, I personally don't see any real need for titanium guides on a float rod (But that's just me).

I have regular Fuji YSG guides on 9 of 12 float rods that I have.