Walleye hooking mortality study

kickingfrog

Very interesting read, but there's a staggering amount of variables to consider here that are really tough to quantify, not the least of which is how the angler is handling it while the fish is landed. I still see a ton of people letting their fish flop around in the gravel and beer caps on the bottom of their boat, hold them up for another 30 seconds of picture taking and then firing them back into the water harshly. I'd like to think my release mortality is considerably lower than those boats, and the younger generation seems more in-tune with sound fish-handling techniques, but they're still the minority out there on any given day.

I have to agree with Joey here. As well being put in a pen can't be too good for the life of the released fish including being tossed in the air to get them into the small pail, they need a bigger pail. I have to wonder how 7 guys can catch, release and reset a line fast enough to catch 70 fish in an hour. Maybe they netted them all. That's pretty good Walleye fishing in a lake that has a problem with sustaining a good fishery, sounds like a good lake to me.

Catching 7 fish per person in an hour isnt hard at all if youre on a good bite. That's over 8 minutes between bites.

Really, thats kinda slow fishing, unless they were all really big.

We see walleye tournaments that get better than 95% survival rates after weigh in.

If that doesn't bother a fish I don't know what does