Pre-spawn crappie.

Hi all,

The ice departed here in a hurry, 4 days and it was open water. We headed out on Sunday to try for crappie in t and around the same spots we fished just a week and a half earlier on the ice. The little buggers don't hang around long, the spots we were slaying them in days ago were bereft of our quarry, so the search started. We found them right where conventional wisdom said they would be, staging close to their spawning areas, once we identified possible areas they would spawn it was just a question of depth. They were in 18 to 20 Fow. Strangely enough this was the same depth they were in this area on the ice, but they had definitely moved in closer to the south facing, shallow mud/weed bays, time will tell if our hypothesis is proven correct when we try the latter close to the end of May. We threw everything at them, slip bobbers, hook with split shot, jigs, dropper rigs, all worked, but the two hook setup with jig and minnow below and wide gape with bronze twister tail took the award for outstanding bait.

Enjoy the video

Great haul Simon

Thanks!

great video Simon!

Cheers mate!

Amazing fishery there. Love it, gonna try and stay on them all summer?

yah, for sure. I am gonna be busy with some walleye fishing for the first part June then I'll be hunting them down again, I want to learn their habits on my home lake.

Nice going!

I always enjoy the videos you post.

Thank you :)