RIP Phife Dawg - the unofficial, official hip hop thread

AKRISONER

this is my fave tribe album since midnight mauraders...thats really really saying something

1. Low end

2. midnight

3. TYFYSWGIFH

One thing I love is these "TYPES" of albums almost always fall short, WAAAAY SHORT!

Not this album! Instant classic!

So sick to see the legends in the game given major props on insta

exactly...its so rare to see a legendary performer(s) put out incredible work later in their career. the last group ive seen do this was Band of Horses, their first two albums are the best but their most recent and like 6th album is #3

Wanna talk about a late emergence, look at El-P the guy reached superstardom 30 years into his career after putting out like 15 albums!

exactly...its so rare to see a legendary performer(s) put out incredible work later in their career. the last group ive seen do this was Band of Horses, their first two albums are the best but their most recent and like 6th album is #3

Wanna talk about a late emergence, look at El-P the guy reached superstardom 30 years into his career after putting out like 15 albums!

Yessir!

And as far as el-p, he worked his butt off and desererves what hes got. Hes a genious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coming from a 62 year old I sometimes enjoy the genre and sometimes I think it is unadulterated crap. If inflaming with specific words is Art I sometimes don't see it. N word this, F this and that. Can't one evoke emotion within me without this type of language? Art in my opinion is evoking an emotion from a person, listening, seeing, touching, watching. This is supposed to be a G rated site. I'm sure Art hasn't seen most of this stuff. It sure is as or more inflammatory than criticizing politicians.

It is a long way from when I was a kid watching American Bandstand. "Yes Dick, it has a nice beat and I can dance to it easy'. That was mostly crap too. You never saw Hendrix on ABS. Now I must say, I do like most Hip Hop, it is the poetry today that was once the poetry of the 60's even into the 70's, including Mitchel, Dylan, Jagger and Lennon and McCartney et all. I get that. The language used throughout most Hip Hop is not needed to get the blood flowing in someone listening, to evoke emotion, is distain an emotion? I think the language is just a crutch for bad music often.

That just my old greying head's opinion.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

can someone get this guy some positive rap please?

Iron, here is the complete opposite end of the spectrum, have a listen

Iron, to be honest, most hip-hop is a product of its environment. The swearing is not in the music simply because its trying to sound tough...the music literally is a reflection of the streets that its growing up on.

Think of how guys on the job site spoke. Same thing. Big L laid it out simply "speak with criminal slang, thats just the way that i talk yo".

Big L wasnt rapping like this as an act...dude grew up in harlem and was a gangster through and through...both him and his brother were murdered.

Obviously it can be very difficult to connect with someone's whos reality is the streets, but thats what makes it appealing, its like someone telling a story about something that you couldnt imagine living.

You obviously dont have to like it, but thats the reason for the language, these guys know no different.

Edited by AKRISONER

also this track is for you manitou...i know youve been hurting so this track will get your ass up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpsF5otkX2Q

that ending though "we need to go back in time to when muhfukas could rock"

Hahahaha awesome brotha! I was listening to this just last night on my ride home from MRI in Thunderbay???

Thanks man!

I like and agree with you on your statement to OI. Thats totally true for ALOT of hip hop artists.

Is it just me or does anyone else here DJ Premiers "Big L rest in peace" every time I see or here his name? Lol the sick beat that accompanies it too.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the last few you guys posted. I want to fire up my 83' white 560SEC Benz with ground effects and roll Uptown looking into the storefront windows and watch the bling on the 20' ers shine. Just got jacked up by five O cuz the glass is too dark. You guys hadn't graced the Earth yet I bet or maybe just. Get that skateboard away from my car kid.

I like the last few you guys posted. I want to fire up my 83' white 560SEC Benz with ground effects and roll Uptown looking into the storefront windows and watch the bling on the 20' ers shine. Just got jacked up by five O cuz the glass is too dark. You guys hadn't graced the Earth yet I bet or maybe just. Get that skateboard away from my car kid.

Lol. We only skated cop cars brotha

i can only picture iron tippin

or the remix, which i actually prefer over the original

• 3 weeks later...