Pine River Provincial Fishing Area

netminder

Anyone know anything about this place? I was driving out to some job sites yesterday and decided to take the backroads back to the office and came across this place out of the blue. It's just outside of Horning's Mills, north of Shelburne. I'd never heard of it before and it doesn't look like much. A couple swampy ponds and what looks like a mill pond according to some aerial photography, along with some small creeks in and around them. Fish on-line doesn't list any species or stocking, but it wouldn't be the only pond I know of that the MNR stocks that isn't listed on the website. If it actually is on the Pine River I'd assume salmon and steelhead get in there somehow?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,

Edited by netminder

In the 80s that place was stocked. MNR actually had a "hut" by the road a real zoo come opening and they would sit there and control things.

rainbows/salmon come up from Georgian Bay don't know if they can make over the dam.

But I've seen many caught in the river and the "lake"

No more stocking and many years ago they tore down the "hut"

Biggest I've and many years ago was around 3 lbs.

lot of private property!

Haven't seen a salmon make it that far but the odd steelie does, very, VERY skinny water for some stretch before the damn. There are decent browns to be found in the "lake" but it will take considerable skill (luck) to pluck one, they have a buffet to eat. Mainly catch 6-8" bows, the odd Brookie & Brown & Chubs. Tons of private property that is well marked but it is a beautiful river to walk

Hey Netminder,

Back in the 70's I spent alot of time there catching stocked Rainbows and Browns. There were 3 ponds - Huxtable (the biggest), Hilltop and I forget the name of the last one. I remember reading in a Lands and Forests text that the first recorded spawn of Rainbows in Ontario was in the Pine at Hornings Mills back in the late 1800's.

Brings back memories...

KawarthaGuy

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know anything about this place? I was driving out to some job sites yesterday and decided to take the backroads back to the office and came across this place out of the blue. It's just outside of Horning's Mills, north of Shelburne. I'd never heard of it before and it doesn't look like much. A couple swampy ponds and what looks like a mill pond according to some aerial photography, along with some small creeks in and around them. Fish on-line doesn't list any species or stocking, but it wouldn't be the only pond I know of that the MNR stocks that isn't listed on the website. If it actually is on the Pine River I'd assume salmon and steelhead get in there somehow?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,

I believe this is Midhurst MNRF territory--appears there are no migratory salmonids there netminder that can reach the reservoir-there is a dam there without a functioning fishway as SirCranks points out.

There are populations however of Brook ,Rainbow and Brown trout that lie in the fishing area and upstream in the Pine River

There is no fish stocked currently !

Hope you catch something-let us know OK

Cheers

ID1

Edited by icedude