On-Board Charger (NF)

tizfun

Hey everyone, Just a a couple quickies on these types of chargers.. This one in my boat is connected to the bow trolling motor battery and the stern cranking battery.. How long do I leave it plugged in for ?? What if one battery doesn't need to be charged ??? What then ?? Will this affect the charged battery ??

Just a little unfamiliar as to how long should I leave it plugged in..

Tiz

Hey everyone, Just a a couple quickies on these types of chargers.. This one in my boat is connected to the bow trolling motor battery and the stern cranking battery.. How long do I leave it plugged in for ?? What if one battery doesn't need to be charged ??? What then ?? Will this affect the charged battery ??

Just a little unfamiliar as to how long should I leave it plugged in..

Tiz

Man what ya talk,n about.LOL

If it,s an on board charger it should be auto shut off. Why do you have it on the cranking battery?

you must have a two bank charger. i bought one last year at bass pro. mine a 5-5 two bank. tournament pro. the banks are treated as individual banks. and have an automatic shut off. so it will not harm the battery if left plug in. it will only send a charged to the battery that needs to be charged. and have a light system green charging, red fully charged. when i fish at bay of quinte i plug the two bank charger, when am finished for the night and unplug it in the morning, before going out that day of fishing. which is about 10 hours. depending how low your battery are could take 12 to 14 hours to get a full charge. Question does your motor have an alternator. if it does. the motor would charge the cranking battery. most time you use an on board charger for two deep cycle battery. unless your motor does not have an alternator. hope that help you out. happy fishing, see you on the water, walleyedreamer.

This was on the boat when I bought it.. It's a Guest Pro 2611 .. 5 + 5 and it has a red and a green light.. I plugged it in and the light went green.. So they're all charged ????

I guess I'll know more on the water tomorrow...

Tiz

When you plug in the charger, the light should be showing red at the start no matter what state the batteries are in. Once fully charged, the light will go green. Even having a charge on your cranking battery can be good. I like to know that all 4 of my batteries are at a full level at any given time.

On my onboard charger the GREEN light means power is on and the RED light means it is charging. So if the batteries are down BOTH the Green and Red light is on but when fully charged only the GREEN light will remain on as it does ALL the time.

So at home if I'm working on the outboard and have trimmed up and down the motor, that runs the main battery down just a bit and when the onboard charger is plugged back in both the Green and Red lights will come on. However, the Red light will go out shortly leaving only the Green light on showing that the onboard charger is plugged in and only maintaining the batteries at that time.

I keep my boat in the garage when not in use (I think this is why it is still in great shape after 22 years) with the onboard charger plugged in. I set up the charging cord so it is right by my throttle controls and it hangs down out of sight when not in use. But when in use it is raised straight up and plugs into a extension just above the gunnel that hangs straight down above it. This way I can have the boat hooked up to my truck ready to go in the morning and still be on charge and it automatically disconnects when I drive away.