Setup for Trolling Motor suggestions?

Raycaster

I have a humble 16' pontoon that has served me well (30hp) for fishing and keeping the family happy too. Finally got the OK for a trolling motor (Terrova 80) but want it setup as clean and hassle proof as possible. A few details including batteries, cabling and possible quick connect plates could use some ideas.

1) Not 100% sure where I will put the 2 batteries. As long as I'm using heavy gauge (6?) does it matter if they are in the back of the boat close to 15' away? A pontoon boat is like drop ceilings in the basement making out of sight clean wiring easy.

2) My dock has no electrical feed or access to cords so the batteries would be required to be removed for charging. I thought "no prob" I'll make a clean box/tray for easy removal, but then started wondering about the battery clamps needing constant on/off. Does anyone use quick connect plugs to accomplish this? They would need to be heavy duty for 24V?

3) The TM is a big investment for me and I'd like it secure and removable for simple family trips. Any suggestions for which plates would work best? My boat is usually the oldest and ugliest in the marina but I'm still paranoid of theft, is there a way for easy lock down or just put it in the truck?

Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

1/ Should be good @ 15' with 6 gauge wiring.

2/ Best quick connectors for your application are: http://www.amazon.com/X-Haibei-Battery-Connector-Connect-Disconnect/dp/B00KXKW708/ref=pd_sim_263_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=51ez0bQdzeL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0JN9Z7JPKENAHZJM48MH

3/ The Minn Kota quick release plates have a spot for a lock and if I remember correctly you can use one of these trailer locks on them.

388.jpg

3 things.

A quick release plate is money well spent, I agree that you should get an onboard charger and a 100 foot extension, and princess auto currently has 6 gauge booster cables in 16 foot lengths on sale for $15, that should work for cable extensions. Otherwise I don't know much about pontoons and how you'd best set it up for a trolling motor.

Maybe look into a solar charger. I use one, great for the sunny summer.

Unless you are not using it for a week at a time and using large panels you will never get a full charge.

Those little panels are good for keeping a charged battery from draining due to parasitic draw but don't expect to charge TM batteries with them.

I wish I could use an extension cord but just not possible.

I was thinking of making a convenient dual battery tray holder to haul them out when needed. The above battery connector sounds great but wondering if a dual bank charger requires the batteries UN-connected from each other when charging? Everyone says go with a 3 bank but my "boat" battery basically just gets a charge in the spring.

Another battery question... Re-charge after every 4 hr outing or wait till they are almost dead.

I noticed Minn Kota has several brackets including the mk-32 which has a cover? Is the mk-32 the only Terrova lockable unit?

Also noticed some front door adjustment will be needed on the boat for the Terrova to function properly and keep front waves out.

Can you guys tell I'm getting excited about the Terrova? I'm the only guy on this whole forum smiling about no ice on the lakes... Spring can't come soon enough!

Edited by Raycaster

I wish I could use an extension cord but just not possible.

I was thinking of making a convenient dual battery tray holder to haul them out when needed. The above battery connector sounds great but wondering if a dual bank charger requires the batteries UN-connected from each other when charging? Everyone says go with a 3 bank but my "boat" battery basically just gets a charge in the spring.

Another battery question... Re-charge after every 4 hr outing or wait till they are almost dead.

I noticed Minn Kota has several brackets including the mk-32 which has a cover? Is the mk-32 the only Terrova lockable unit?

Also noticed some front door adjustment will be needed on the boat for the Terrova to function properly and keep front waves out.

Can you guys tell I'm getting excited about the Terrova? I'm the only guy on this whole forum smiling about no ice on the lakes... Spring can't come soon enough!

Recharge after every outing.

This will extend the life of your batteries by a lot.

The quick release MK 52/62, MK 42, MK 32, MKA 16-02 all have the ability to use a lock on them.