No Power To Fish Finder

Blue_Axela

Bought my first boat ever this year and took her out on the water for the maiden voyage this past weekend. Everything is pretty except the fish finder (Eagle Cuda 168) won't power up now. Its mounted at the bow of the boat and the transducer is on the trolling motor. When I bought the boat, the previous owner was able to power it on.

Having never owned a boat before, I don't know the electrical connections for a fish finder. I'm assuming it has two leads to connect to a 12V battery?

The only thing that connections to the fish finder is a what looks like a S-video plug.

Sorry if I don't make any sense but I'm a newbie.

Would really love to get the fish finder working.

With this unit, there is one cable that connects both battery and transducer to the finder. Some distance from the connector, the cable splits into a 'Y', enabling you to not have to mount the transducer on the battery.

Find and follow the wiring until you find the spot where the cable splits, and then find them battery clips. There might not be a good battery attached to them.

More Info.

Hope this hleps. Remember, don't believe everything people tell you on the interwebs.

Thanks guys. The batteries are working fine since I'm able to crank the motor and use the trolling motor. The wiring is nuts in the boat and its going to take sometime to go through it. When I reconnected the wires back to the battery, I didn't notice a redwire with an fuse on it but maybe its somewhere else in line.

Also, when you find the inline fuse...........check to make sure the spring that presses the fuse and completes the circuit is stretched enough. I had this same problem, checked wiring, checked fuse , all good. Went nuts till I Found out my spring lost its compression and backed off the fuse and inturn, let the fuse fall off one side thus disrupting the circuit. Take the spring out and stretch it to ensure that its got enough compression to push the fuse against the contacts.

Just a thought but some of your depth finders need to have the power button held for up to 2 seconds before it will come on. The S plug has a few holes or prongs that are on the cable side. Since the only power it needs is for the unit one of the plugs will be 12 volts. Take a volt tester and ground one end to a known good ground and touch all of the holes or pins if you do not get 12 volts then you have a problem with the feed. Then you get to trace the wire if you do have 12 volts then you have a bad plug or depth finder.

Art