Help with centerpin reel

Cosmos

I bought a bulk spool(2000 yds) of 12lb dacron from Cabelas years ago. I think it was a 'squid' line. I half spool each reel with it and then fill the rest (200-300yds) with mono of my choice, usually 10lb test. Never have had a problem. Using 4 different AngSpec float reesl and 2 Islanders for over 20 years that way.

I cut back some mono after each trip for wear and tear.. Once I see the dacron on the spool I strip off the remainder and respool with fresh mono. Only got to the backing once. Hooked something big near a creek mouth on Manitoulin and it just kept going. Finally snapper the leader, never saw it .

All my reels work flawlwessly now for 20+ years. Other than a drop of oil each year and a careful cleaning , there have never been any issues. I have a habit of babying my reel anyway.

Go with the dacron flyline backing, just be careful as some backing is made from some other non-dacron stuff. It's a small cost to keep your pin running without any issues.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.......muddler

Thank you guys,

Stopped by at Lebaron today to pickup Dacron fly line backing - they are out of stock, but they promise to get it in couple days. They don't have raven mono line.

I will use my spinning outfit this weekend and prepare centerpin properly for next one.