Aluminum boat - bench seats question

icefisherman

Just bought 14' Starcraft SF14 to use for duck hunting only. Comes with bench seats made of aluminum under which is the flotation material.

Boat and seat in perfect condition but I am thinking of ways to cover them with something to insulate my but when sitting on them in the marsh.

20150924_165009_resized_1_zpsdnevsxkd.jp

Marine plywood is way to pricey for this purpose...

Maybe regular plywood but sealed with something?

Was even thinking of using some of that foam people use to walk on in their home exercise rooms, but not sure: a) hoe it will do in the cold/rain/snow and B) will it absorb water?

How about any other natural wood material? Or any artificial covering?

Or outdoor cushion pad?

Would appreciate ideas/suggestions.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Thought about that but don't want to get too high up above the boat blind I am in the process of building. The lower I stay the better.

I am even considering getting some camp stools to use in between the bench seats but the 2 or 2 I bought were not suitable for my application.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

I have the exact same boat for a duck boat. Except I have the split benches at the rear. Westmarine sells camo floatation cushions and that's what I use. I got them down at the one in oakville, there is another location in Barrie. Just a thought. If you remove those front rod holders, the back ones make handy dandy places to stick your oars and push pole. Just bungy them to the middle bench at the front.

Edited by porkpie

I have the exact same boat for a duck boat. Except I have the split benches at the rear. Westmarine sells camo floatation cushions and that's what I use. I got them down at the one in oakville, there is another location in Barrie. Just a thought.

Closed up

Edited by Brian B

Yep,

the only WM store remaining open (until this time next year) is the Oakville one. Good ting it is the closest one to me. When I was there last week isles were full of skids coming from the other stores to be sold in Oakville.

Do you have a link for the cushion you are referring to see if Oakville store has it or can order it quickly?

20151004_160318_resized_zpsoyjqd1dq.jpg

Porkpie, I'll PM you Bud. Would love to chat with you about using this boat for duck hunting. Starting building the blind tomorrow. Just got all the materials and design.

Here is how I am thinking of doing the oars. With some bungees.

They don't fit in the holes of the front rod holders.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Don't hunt, and that never entered my mind, but it makes sense. What would it raise your butt by? Maybe 3 inches max? Is that too much?

Probably 3"-4".

Would prefer to stay low....3/8" marine plywood would be perfect but the damn thing cost $120 per sheet.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Unbolt the front holders, put the butt of the oars into the rear holders and then bungie them to the front bench. I took a grinder to the top of the aluminum frame of the front holders to remove the sharp edge. It just needs a tap or 2 with the wheel to round it out so you don't get caught on it. I use a modified cabelas northern flight style blind that i made myself.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--deluxe-flotation-cushions--P010981645

Edited by porkpie

Give it a try, you'll see what I mean. If you don't like it , it's 2 minutes to put it back to factory.

They are floatation cushions. They will dry like a life jacket and are handy if you end up in the water by accident. Don't legally replace life jackets though.

Edited by porkpie