? Whitefish. No fish finder. Deep lake

Rod Caster

Hey experts. I don't expect this to be easy...but I'd like some tips and opinions.

Going to a clear, smallish lake trout lake this coming weekend. Water would still be warm, barely cooling off. I'd like to spend some time trying for whitefish, and I know they are plentiful there.

I'll be in a canoe (trolling motor) and if the winds are low, I'll do some jigging. Without a fish finder, how would you approach this?

My basic plan is to use small but heavy spoons and dropping them to bottom, looking for around 80 feet of water.

Should I focus on open water, humps (if I can find them), steep drops, mid depth water....

Maybe use jigs/grubs (not sure how I'll get to 80 feet with a jig)

This will be a shot in the dark no matter what, but any general ideas or tips would be appreciated.

Good buddy of mine uses a clean Mr Champ for both Greys and Whities on 31 Mile. Always on the bottom. He prefers yellow/green colors. Never bothers with bait or a trailer. Often catches both together, but generally targets shoreline structure in the 30 to 60 ft range for the Whities. Sometimes, when a hatch is on he will also catch them on the adjacent flats. Not saying they won't be at 80ft but don't be shy to try shallower.

As for trolling, I've caught them using a small gang troll and minnow trailer while going for Lakers, so that should work well from a canoe if you can get it down. Or even try trolling with a Cleo, that will get down deep enough.

I was also going to mentions Meegs jigs. When I did a quick google with Whitefish this link came first. It will give you plenty of ideas to work with. http://www.fishingsimcoe.com/articles/artificial-baits

Cheers

I wish I knew. The only time I caught them in the summer was in a river and during a mayfly hatch. I've been on lakes where they are so stacked up you'd think it would be easy pickings. I tried deep, suspended and targeted the ones in the "shallowest" water as I read the shallower ones might be feeding. Not a single bite. I've jigged for them on the spring opener on Simcoe though and it was great. If you plan on jigging you will need zero wind. Doesn't take much wind to pull your jig off the bottom in 60+ FOW. Otherwise, an anchor will likely be necessary. We used two anchors.

Personally, I think the whitefish like the muddy bottoms in 60+ FOW. Structure fishing has never made much difference in my success, but maybe that's just me. Not that they weren't near structure, but they were in the middle of nowhere just as often.

You might be better off targeting the lakers.

I don't have much knowledge of whities outside Simcoe, but with that amount I do have, I'd try flutter spoons and Meegs jigs on structure right next to the deep basins. Spoons for suspended, chasing fish, and jigs to slay them once they're located. Scattered boulders don't hurt either. But without electronics that can be pretty tough. Anchor with plenty of rope is a must, like mentioned above. Good luck, go get em!

I have only fished through the ice for them and always with light tackle.

I agree with the anchor or if weather permits a slow drift over mud /sand or rock no weeds.

Depth will depend on where the water is cold 40-60 ft would be a good start to finding them.

You might even pick up a ling or laker.

That's the nice thing, even if I don't find the whities, the lakers might be hanging around.

I'll find humps the old fashion way, trolling deep, when I bump bottom, something's there! Rudimentary, but it's worked for me (at least for 20-30fow fishing)

Thx for the tips, wish me luck, I'll likely need it!