storm hits port dover 8th june 2007

nautifish

Well what a absolutley crazy day out there yesterday. Myself and mr sinns decided to hit the pier yesterday afternoon. We were going to go fish for walleye but with the storm warnings we decided to stay on shore and close to home and boy am i glad i ever did just that. We headed put around 11.00am after running some morning errands. The perch bite was steady but not crazy and the sky was blue the sun was shining. I called my uncle over in scotland ontario and he said the sky was black and his lawn funiture was been blown around. Here we were sat on the peir absolutley beautiful thinking maybe the south winds would keep the storm away from dover. No fat chance.......lol about and hr or hr & a half after talking to my uncle we are sat up on the pier when we can see this really dark and i mean dark sky heading our way from the west side across the lake. The wind gradually picked up a little but it looked like we were just seeing the tail end of this storm. Wrong again......lol.....WITH in five minutes the wind picked up so fast it took my carry case for my chair then my bloody sunglasses were blown right off my face along the pier and into the lake. I was gutted my favorite pair of fishing glasses........So we tryed to grab every thing were were been blown allmost over the edge i kid u not. As i picked up my chair the wind caught it and took me also allmost into the lake and i mean real close to ending up in the lake. We managed to get to the end of the peir and as we reached the end the police showed up with lights on and sirens and were telling every one to get off the pier immediatley. I could not beleive some guys were actually still sat by the light house trying to hold onto everything with there rods still in the water when we left. Talk about crazy. The police had also been tripping up and down main street in the cars telling people to clear the streets. It was not till we drove home when we saw just how much mess there was around town. There were some huge and i mean huge trees pulled right out of the ground from there roots. Incrediable what mother nauture can do. As you will see on the up comming video a huge tree was ripped right out of the ground from its roots just up off the main street which is actually a busy part of town as far as traffic and pedestrains. Thank goodness no one was hurt or even killed when this tree came down. Had anyone been in the vicinity at the time that tree came down no way would they have survived. So anyway we headed home waited out the storm then headed back out to fish for more perch. In total 48 caught yesterday so a nice catch. The perch were hitting like crazy after the storm passed through laste yesterday afternoon. Anyway here is the video sorry you cannot here much of what i am saying at the start because the wind was so strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y1pfSfARPo

Edited by nautifish

Thanx alot guys & gals.

& yes joey we actually managed to get off the pier as the worst really hit. 1ST time i have actually been scared in a storm.

Mike we hammered the perch after the storm...PICKED UP JUST UNDER 6LBS OF CLEANED FILLETS YESTERDAY ......Had some perch for supper last night tryed them in that new roasted garlic and butter fish crisp and man were they ever tasty. Not a big fan on the fish crisp but that one i actually really did enjoy.

Joey your going to kick my butt when you see my next report..........Coming soon......lol ;)

Edited by nautifish

Hey nautifish, pretty cool video ! I guess those people in the background frolicking in the drink thought it was only going to be a cloud burst !

Just two quick questions about your pier fishing. Minnows or worms, float or on bottom ?

Thanks,

Mike