Example of selective harvest on lake???

muskymatt

I have been going to a lake every summer to visit with my wifes brother and family who have a trailer on the lake. There is no public launch but there is a trailer park in which my BIL has a trailer. We have been going for approx 13 years and I have noticed a huge change in the lake.

First off the lake has been invaded by zebra mussels, it's ultra clear now and it's not a big lake at about 2km long 1 km wide, but it's a deep lake at 100+ ft. Spring fed with only one creek in and one out. In the beginning largies were abundant and you could target them anytime of day either topwater , spinnerbaits, you name it they ate it.

Walleye were hard to hit but when you got on them it was nice big fish and beautiful colors. Now fast forward to about 3 years ago and the bass and walleye bite was dwindling, to an alarming rate and fast. This past weekend we went again and the bass were few and far between, walleye were not seen but you couldn't throw a bait without catching a hammer handle. It was brutal, to see a lake go from productive to only being filled with little pike. I personally have kept about 10 fish over 13 years for breakfast at the lake.

I guess bass and walleye were on the menu for anglers but pike not so much. What a shame! :wallbash::(

So, my theory is the bass and walleye that kept the pike frye in check were depleted and now the pike have open season on all the other young fish.

Almost time to have an annual pike derby on the lake I'd say!

SAD!

I love Bass fishing and that is what I target 80% of the time when I fish but to eat them yuk. Now for Pike they are my favorite fish to catch and to eat, I will never understand why more people do not learn how to clean as I think they are the best fresh water fish to eat by far.

If I mix up a pan with pike and walleye you'd never know. They're just a pain to clean and won't typically try with anything under about 30". Not sure where the bass went, since my impression is not many people keep them for eating. A few lakes I go to around here encourage you to harvest the pike and let the bass go.

The zebra muscles may have influenced the change as well. Increasing water clarity will favour some species over others.

I have noticed the weeds in the 10-14 fow range this and last year, they weren't that deep before. I guess the sun is getting down deeper with the clear water. The shoreline is also much thicker with weeds than in the past. Major changes for a smaller lake.

I love Bass fishing and that is what I target 80% of the time when I fish but to eat them yuk. Now for Pike they are my favorite fish to catch and to eat, I will never understand why more people do not learn how to clean as I think they are the best fresh water fish to eat by far.

This.

And they are super easy to clean. Any angler can learn the 5 fillet method in minutes and no bones at all.

The bonus to harvesting pike

1)almost impossible to get skunked

2)they taste as good as walleye(not quit as good as crappie IMO)

3)you get way more meat off a 27" pike than you do a 14" walleye.