Fish finder question

motv8tr

Hey all, my friend Steve was toying with the idea of getting a fish finder...lots of encouragement from me :thumbsup_anim: , The question I have is, do the transducers go outside the boat, or can you mount them inside the boat? He has a Searay, which is not designed for fishing, but hey, it does the job :) . He figured he could get one and put it in one of the compartments, if so, he just might get one :thumbsup_anim: I should add that he has a friend who is a major Bass fisherman, and he apparently has three fishfinder with transducers in the boat...keep in mind this guy has a high end Bass boat, maybe makes a difference?

Thanks

Maureen

Edited by motv8tr

If the hull is fiberglass or wood you can mount them inside and they will shoot thru the hull, but this installation is tricky. His best bet might be a portable unit, they're inexpensive and easy to mount and operate. I purchased one I'll be bringing to Lakair and I'll show it to you.

Yes you can put it inside the hull with reasonable ease. He will have to make sure that the unit he gets comes with a thru hull transducer and follow the install directions properly.. Alot of bass boats and others have the same set.

I would mount it OUTSIDE of the boat for BEST results. Boats that have them mounted inside are set up for such a application. If you don't have a good area to shoot thru your sonar results will suffer BIG time making you wish you just did a outside transom mount.

Follow the directions and after you drill the holes just use some silicone caulking before running the screws in. Mine has been mounted this way for 22 years now without a leak.

Good Fishing,

Bob

Thanks for the info guys, I expect he'll go with the inside mount, he won't be wanting to drill any holes into his hull. He has a jet boat, and it would damage any resale value I would imagine.

Now then, how expensive are the ones with an "in hull" transducer? He may also go the way of the one Glen has, is that the one you had last year Glen? If so i'm not sure it can be found up here....might check out BPS

Thanks again

Maureen

Actually Mo, I'm going with this unit:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

and this transducer mount:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...t&noImage=0

the finder comes with a suction cup mount, but they don't stay on too well when traveling at speed. The bracket clamps to the transom and is more stable at higher speeds.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Greencoachdog

and this transducer mount:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...t&noImage=0

they finder comes with a suction cup mount, but they don't stay on too well when traveling at speed. The bracket clamps to the transom and is more stable at higher speeds.

Hope this helps!

You make a good point southern man but if he has a jet boat there will be no where to clamp it.

-Brian