weird pesticide experience NF

manitoubass2

There is likely a local forest management group (here is Nipissing Forest Resource Management) that has some authority over spraying, logging practices etc. They might have some info.

Their number was on one of those signs near one of my borthers Speckled Trout creeks. It was Glycosphate as well.

Sudbury CBC had a spot where an environmentalist nobody discussed this issue with professional forester...let's just say the forester sounded WAYYY more credible and actually provided some good information.

What I took away from the spot, was that it's extremely diluted, has been extensively tested and it's just way cheaper than manual cutting.

Are you saying that your buddy actually got sprayed-on (you said he felt 'rain' and tasted nickel. That potentially could be bad and should be reported to a doctor and the MNR for exposure.

Edited by Rod Caster

There is likely a local forest management group (here is Nipissing Forest Resource Management) that has some authority over spraying, logging practices etc. They might have some info.

Their number was on one of those signs near one of my borthers Speckled Trout creeks. It was Glycosphate as well.

Sudbury CBC had a spot where an environmentalist nobody discussed this issue with professional forester...let's just say the forester sounded WAYYY more credible and actually provided some good information.

What I took away from the spot, was that it's extremely diluted, has been extensively tested and it's just way cheaper than manual cutting.

Are you saying that your buddy actually got sprayed-on (you said he felt 'rain' and tasted nickel. That potentially could be bad and should be reported to a doctor and the MNR for exposure.

I hear ya.

She told me it works very well for giving the softwoods a year or two growth advantage over hardwoods or the hardwoods just take over.

She also said they have "military grade electronics to track the dispersal of glycophosphate" so she could look on her computer data to see if any had been near the road(my buddy was standing on)

Then she started talking to me about foraging and fishing and she sounded totally clueless about nature, so it was an odd conversation.

She was very pleasant and insightful

Id just like to know how this effects the local wildlife

They have been spraying the forested slashes north of Dryden for years.

I used to hunt in WMU 5 & have seen the results.The biggest impact (imo) is on the moose.Their favorite browse is the young tender hardwoods,over the last few years much of the moose population has moved on to greener pastures.

By slashes I assume you mean clear cuts. Yes the browsing would be better in an unsprayed clearcut after a few years.

Before cutting though it was probably a mature even aged spruce or pine forest with next to no browse. Burns or clear cuts are only attractive to browsing animals for a few years and as they mature the animals move on.

Edited by dave524

The use of spray to help the spruce has been used for a long time. I admit I don't know all the science behind it, but intuitively this doesn't sound like a good ecological idea to me.

Not cool turning the boreal forest into a tree farm.

A mixed forest is a healthy forest.

Chris , Boreal Forests are typically even aged single species forests born out of fire, not unlike a tree farm but without the neat rows.

Possibly, but usually at the hands of nature, not pesticides/herbicides

As nasty as they can be, ill take the forest fire please/preferably caused by lightening

Chris , Boreal Forests are typically even aged single species forests born out of fire, not unlike a tree farm but without the neat rows.

I don't know.

I've been to northern places without logging. Spruce, poplar, birch, jackpine and tamarack, all fighting for the same real estate.

I don't know.

I've been to northern places without logging. Spruce, poplar, birch, jackpine and tamarack, all fighting for the same real estate.

What you are seeing is probably an area in the middle stages of succession, This lesson has a good writeup and graphics of the stages. Also perhaps what you see is known as the "Edge Effect " you will see greater diversity along the edge of a forest or where a road bisects a forest because of the lateral sunlight penetration , this allows many more different species of flora to grow than is possible further in. These edges are very attractive to wildlife because of this diversity, you will see far more grouse along a logging road or along the edge than deep into a woods for example.

http://www.arlis.org/docs/vol1/83599936/boreal_forest_succession.html

The use of these herbicides speed up this succession returning the forest to its original mature state which is surely what was originally cut.