Plumbing NF

mistaredone

I have permits to put in a doorway and to go from a single sink bathroom to a double sink. Although I'm more than competent enough to do the plumbing my self, will I have trouble with the city for not having the work done by a certified plumber? Sorry for the NF post but I can't find the answer on Google and I know there is lots of trade guys on this site

Thanks

Steve

I'm not a licensed plumber but have done all my own renovations over the years. No leaks! LOL! Just completed the rough in for drains & vents in the basement level for new bathroom & shower. Inspector from the town approved everything - never asked for a license or documentation from a contractor.

Sorry i only know the codes for the USA but a homeowners permit is legal here but it has to pass according to the local codes governing the area. Pipe sizing, venting, layouts are all dictated by codes that we follow they are easy to obtain and explain what the rules are. Make sure you are correct they can make you tear out anything that is incorrect and does not meet code. They also have places in the project that have to be inspected such as ground works, close in and final inspections that occur throughout the project if you miss one they can require you to remove concrete, drywall or walls to inspect the work.

hope this helps.

Art

No you won't have any trouble. Pull the permit, do the work and have it inspected. Many individuals doing inside work don't bother with permits right or wrong. Changing a doorway or installing a sink requires a permit but more don't pull one than do. I believe in pulling permits for most residential work. More and more homeowners are having issues selling properties because they did not pull permits and their current properties do not match the general description of their property when purchased. Like my neighbour that installed a pool and built a garage without permits. Now he has problems selling. Installing a sink, I never have pulled one.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

As others have said, a homeowner can legally do work in his own house without a license as long as it is installed to code and inspected by the relevant authority (in your case the plumbing and building inspector). The ESA would be involved for electrical work. You cannot do the work of any 'compulsory trade' for anybody else however or you will be in crappola with the inspectors.

Edited by G.mech