redstone lake

mrpink

I fish a lake that sounds just like this one . It is a lake trout/smallmouth lake and we find the bass in nothing less then 15 ft of water

over rock or they are roaming in schools over deep water chasing baitfish . Find these schools with electronics and drop a jig/minnow

into them and hang on !!!

I fish a lake that sounds just like this one . It is a lake trout/smallmouth lake and we find the bass in nothing less then 15 ft of water

over rock or they are roaming in schools over deep water chasing baitfish . Find these schools with electronics and drop a jig/minnow

into them and hang on !!!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......been doing it for years.....lol

Must say, that was a disappointing week of fishing. While the cottage and lake were both great, the fishing was really lacking. We have been renting cottages for a week in the summer for the past several years in the Haliburton area, and this was the least productive. While I don’t mind spending some time trolling or jigging, I prefer spending time drifting and casting the shore lines in hopes of a nice hit, never happened this week. I did not land a single fish using any hard baits, only live or tubes worked for me.

Previous years we have rented cottages on Soyers or Kashagawigamos Lakes and it was night and day difference. Last year on Kash, managed to pull in my PB smallie at just over 5lbs, and then found a sweet spot on Soyers where almost every cast ended up with a 2-3lb smallie coming in. Maybe the difference in temps between this year and last was part of the problem, but I do think there is a difference in the basics of the lake and the fish within them.

Thanks to all for the tips and insights, helped with some of the frustrations.

Soyers and Kash are very different lakes than Redstone: more shallows, more forage, easier fishing. Fishing shield lakes is not your typical "cast to shore cover" exercise and can be very frustrating.

Bang on there Dog , as I said in a previous post the shield lakes I fish have the shoreline cover like downed trees and some weeds

but are completely void of smallmouth during the daylight hours . The bass in these lakes are generally all open water roamers/feeders

and don't head to the shallows until dark or not at all during the summer . These lakes can be frustrating to fish because it does't seem

normal but once you figure it out , the fishing can be great !!!

Bang on there Dog , as I said in a previous post the shield lakes I fish have the shoreline cover like downed trees and some weeds

but are completely void of smallmouth during the daylight hours . The bass in these lakes are generally all open water roamers/feeders

and don't head to the shallows until dark or not at all during the summer . These lakes can be frustrating to fish because it does't seem

normal but once you figure it out , the fishing can be great !!!

in some lakes its only roamers,and open water like i said palagiec and in structureless lakes it can take a while to figure them out but they are there....its challenging just the way i like it,it makes you alot better fiisherman thats for sure....

One of my favorite open-water smallie techniques for roamers is a take-off on the saltwater popper technique: a popper with a senko underneath. It's a great way to get them to come up, even when they are over 100 FOW. InFisherman did a great video on the technique, but I can't find it. I use a fairly large, brightly coloured popper with the rear treble taken off. Tie on a 3-6' leader with a circle hook and put your favourite stick worm on. It will get hits when nothing else is working.