Lower Unit Dry, No lube.

Parnelly

Hi all,

I have an Merc 18XD and from my understanding there havent been parts available for this motor for some time. After a weekend trip out with the motor, The lower unit was completely dry. Not even any water inside.There was no shards on the magnet screw only a small amount of sludge, that when rubbed in my fingers was simply that. No metal shavings at all. Motor ran fine the whole time out and gave no indication of anything wrong. I imagine there is a leak somewhere, but would that not allow water in to the unit?

Any suggestions on what this might be caused by? What could I do if there are no parts available to repair?

Thanks.

Ben.

Thanks for the replies fella's. I never knew there were aftermarket parts for these. Only ever thought to go merc. Appreciate that.

I have topped it back up with Merc gear oil. The plan is to get it out once again to see what happens.

Thanks again for the help.

Ben.

IMG_20150502_141750_zpss0y218zd.jpg

Edited by Parnelly

If it was empty with no water in it right after pulling out of the lake. I would take a guess exhaust is displacing the fluids ......if it was a while after pulling out the ramp it could have filled with water then drained out ..... I'd be replacing prop seals, shift seal, shaft seal , the entire waterpump and often overlooked the rain bung gaskets . Amazon has great deals on Sierra parts usually and at your door in 2-3 days.

Edited by Freshtrax