Finally figured out how to target sturgeon on The Attawapiskat :)

emjay88

ofn sturgeon.jpg

I didn't realize what a fight these fish put up!! I guess that's why they have been around so long. I caught another later in the day not as big. It's too bad I figured this out on my second last day in camp. Can't wait to return so I can spend some serious time targeting them.One of the few places left in Ontario where the population is healthy enough you can fish for them. Catch and release obviously.

Cheers,

Jonesy

We caught some real nice sized pike, while we were at Eddie's camp.

I think I would have crapped my pants, if i latched onto one of those; thinking it was a stubborn pike! LOL

Nice fish, well earned bragging rights.

Dan.

That is very cool Matt. Would love to hear how you succeeded! I tried for about an hour once when I was there and caught none. We used a pyramid sinker and a chunk of chicken liver on a circle hook in a deeper current area.

Thanks Mike, the last day we were there was rain all day so I decided to just try for Sturgeon off the dock. I moved the dock down to the North end of the beach last week for the planes to come in deeper water. Each morning I could see sturgeon jumping all over the bay in front of the camp. I didn't have the right gear to target them properly at all, I just used my pike set up, st.croix heavy action with a shimano low profile bait caster, 50 lb braid main line and 40 lb fluoro leader. I was short on single hooks so I took a few trailer hooks off my spinner baits. Attached a 1 oz weight to the barrel swivel and the weightless hook about 3 feet behind on the leader. Used cut pcs of sucker and tbh cut up pieces of kielbasa LOL as thats all i had. I had 2 break my 40 lb test leader and lost my rigs. I'm sure they were monsters as they have no teeth, but it must have been caused by a bad knot tied by me. I landed this one on just a big 1 oz jig head. Knowing what I know now, I will bring a three way swivel with a 1 oz weight 6-10" below and a 3 ' lead with some good circle or octopus hooks. Ive heard threading a bunch of worms on the hook works really well as well as chicken livers. Just wish I figured this out July 1st when the season opened as I'm sure there are some 5-6 footers in that system. Looks like you are having a phenomenal season Mike!!! Great pics of you and your son with some absolute monster lakers and pike!!!! What camera do you use for your stills? They are really great quality.

Thanks Mike, the last day we were there was rain all day so I decided to just try for Sturgeon off the dock. I moved the dock down to the North end of the beach last week for the planes to come in deeper water. Each morning I could see sturgeon jumping all over the bay in front of the camp. I didn't have the right gear to target them properly at all, I just used my pike set up, st.croix heavy action with a shimano low profile bait caster, 50 lb braid main line and 40 lb fluoro leader. I was short on single hooks so I took a few trailer hooks off my spinner baits. Attached a 1 oz weight to the barrel swivel and the weightless hook about 3 feet behind on the leader. Used cut pcs of sucker and tbh cut up pieces of kielbasa LOL as thats all i had. I had 2 break my 40 lb test leader and lost my rigs. I'm sure they were monsters as they have no teeth, but it must have been caused by a bad knot tied by me. I landed this one on just a big 1 oz jig head. Knowing what I know now, I will bring a three way swivel with a 1 oz weight 6-10" below and a 3 ' lead with some good circle or octopus hooks. Ive heard threading a bunch of worms on the hook works really well as well as chicken livers. Just wish I figured this out July 1st when the season opened as I'm sure there are some 5-6 footers in that system. Looks like you are having a phenomenal season Mike!!! Great pics of you and your son with some absolute monster lakers and pike!!!! What camera do you use for your stills? They are really great quality.

That is really cool! What makes it even more cool is you're catching them right off the dock at camp!!

My camera is a Canon T3i, but it's the glass that makes all the difference. I'm sadly lacking in the lens department but make do. I do have a REALLY good polarizing filter which makes many of the shots pop, especially on the water shots and outdoors in harsh bright sun. I'm NOT a good photographer LOL! I do take a lot though and it's more the law of averages. Ever heard the expression "even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes"?