Centrepin Trouble

creditmaster

Hey guys i have just bought a Chinese centrelpin reel and have loaded it with 20 lbs braid i dosent spin as freely as some of the real pin reels i have seen but with one good flik of dat wrist is goes pretty nicely for about 20 seconds the problem is every time i try to cast it(this is my first centre pin reel ) it goes 5-10 feet and to the left . not sure if it my technique or the reel .any info would be appreciated

Ok , wasn't sure what you meant at first by the swing, but again found a guy doing the BC swing cast on youtube, That usually requires a fair bit of weight both a large float and shotting to pull off, especially when first starting out. Not too popular here on smaller flows because of that, if you want to carry on with it up your float size and shotting till you get the hang of it.

Dave is correct,

You have a lot of things adding up to handicap your learning process.

Poor reel performance

New to the centerpin

Difficult cast to learn

Check out the videos for Wallis casting. It is better suited to the streams around the GTA, and no line twist.

I'd take Bill's advice. You'd want to simplify things when your starting out. Be prepared for line twist on the side cast, a swivel would help reduce that and you'd need a shotline, you mentioned your using braided.

as mentioned, youtube is your friend. I like the modified Wallis cast, learned it on YouTube ☺.

Swing casting isn't the easiest cast to do but it certainly cuts down on line twist. The only places I ever do it is on the west coast or down in the Niagara when I'm using 20+ gram slip floats and a bunch of heavy pencil lead. Rod selection can also make things a lot easier too with slow-action (yet beefy) rods making things a lot easier - parabolic action rods load up nicely on the cast. My favourite rod for doing it is the old-school Sage 3113lb float rod (especially when matched with a worn-in bushing centerpin reel). I prefer heavier mono too when swing casting. With the right outfit, you can chuck your rig surprisingly far by swing casting. Keep in mind that if you're fishing shoulder to shoulder spots, it's definitely not the best cast to use.LOL

For rivers around the GTA - as others have mentioned - side casting, spinning side casting or wallis casting are easier ways to do things with lighter floats and rigs.