Pinery fishing report. Sorry no pics of actual fish

huzzsaba

So went camping with the family this past weekend at Pinery Provincial Park. It rained half the time but I had a chance to fish the old Ausable channel while I was there. Got out for a good hour and was only getting small fish that were too small to even bite bait. I was using yellow and white grub.

Finally went to another section which was quite shallow and had a lot of grass/weed. Every cast came back with a handful of green. Finally I decided to cast and reel back in as fast as I could literally reeling in as soon as the lure hit the water. I noticed a splash but whatever it was missed the bait. I cast out again in the same spot and same fish goes after my bait and then fish was on!

Reeled it in and it turned out to be a grass pickeral. It was a adult size since from what I read they only grow up to be around 30 cms or so and this one was right around that size. I tried to get a photo but it slipped out of my hands as I went to pick it up and swam away :( .

Anyhow, it was quite fun trying to rip through the weeds and nice to catch my first I guess you can say pike! :clapping: . They are a fish of special concern so I was planning on releasing it regardless but it took off before I could do anything lol.

For those that havent seen one before here is a photo of one. Looks just like pike but a nice green with dark green stripes.

pickeral.jpg

Edited by huzzsaba