Montreal Shad

Hey guys, hoping to get out to Montreal in a couple weeks for some shad. I've been ounce at the dam and only got a couple and a crapload of walleye, because I was there too early I'm guessing. If anyone has any suggestions on how to properly fish then, if my timing is right or any other help, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edited by BowSlayer101

You're not too late for sure. American shad (Alose) have been trickling up current for the past week or so. This weekend should be the big starter. Red and yellow darters will be the go bait I'd say. Try the Pie-IX dam..... or maybe Carrillon from the Ottawa river.

It gets so busy…probably busier than salmon season in Ontario. The shad darts, I'm guessing, around around 3/8oz? Maybe 1/2oz? Their mouthes are pretty delicate and I'd go with a med power fast action rod. The shad darts will be heavy enough that you can really launch it far! Waders are pretty necessary. Just vary your retrieval speed and see what works for the fish.

There's a Facebook group page for american shad, but they all speak French.

I think the key is arriving early. I dunno how people manage to fish the hydro dam. lol

Good luck!

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

Nice! Was this recently? I'm debating whether its worth it to burrow a small boat from a bud and haul it there (as if I took mine it would cost me 2 tanks each way) or just fish from shore. Is it really that much better from boat?

Edited by BowSlayer101

I saw a fishing program some time ago and it featured the Shad fishing on the river in Montreal when they are running. Man talk about shoulder to shoulder, how about 2 deep and waiting your turn to get riverside to cast when the other guy removes the hook from a fish. I have never seen such a show. By the looks of the sheer numbers of fishermen there I have no idea how it doesn't become a fish rodeo cluster jam is beyond me. How they can bring in a fish without snagging someone else's line is a miracle. It sure looks like fun with all the family attending and cleaning and cooking the fish right on the spot. They must taste great based on the number of people fishing.