Boat motor acceleration issues.

mattybculp

It sure seems like a spun hub to me too Shane. I did the test of marking a line to see if it has spun but all the markings line up the same. Lape, I have not hit anything, I would own up to that for sure, but I'm really lost on this one for sure. A real head scratcher. It took me booting down rice to bewdley from indian river for it to act up, but putting it into reverse for a short time, allowed the boat to carry on as normal. Now I don't know if when I marked my lines on the prop and I " spun the prop" the markings moved but putting it back into reverse and temporarily fixed it moved the markings back to the original markings, when I limped back home the motor was working as it should. I couldn't check it when it happened as I was in 13 feet of water. I guess I could of jumped into the water to have a peek at it I wish I had done that. I do want to have a back up prop anyways so I don't mind laying out some cash for a new prop, im more concerned if I'm doing any damage to the motor I'm not aware of, because other than the "spin outs" it sounds and runs as good as it always has. Sorry to beat this thread to death. I appreciate you guys chiming in. I was hoping someone had the exact same experience/ problem I have, but apparently my 2003 75hp 4 stroke yammy is a little bit of a uni-corn lol.

Pending the hub design.. if it does happen to slip it may very well lock back in in the same spot.

The into reverse and then working again makes me think it's still the hub. Either that are you have a main drive shaft coupling that's about to let go for good, but would be pretty rare for one of those to strip.

If it was dogs or gears... you'd hear it and at full throttle it would be a one time deal!

I agree with Irishfield, If you have a rubber hub design, putting it into reverse may just reseat the hub long enough to get you where you want to go. My experiences of when they go are eerily similar. I have a merc though but was running an old Michigan Wheel with a rubber hub. You could feel it slip and then grab every so often so before it got worse, I switched to a merc prop the guy I bought the boat from had as the factory prop. It had the flo tork designed hub. The prop was a little big for the boat so I bought a smaller pitched one with the same hub design.

The flo tork will explode if you hit anything but you can easily replace it yourself. You can buy a merc prop and a yammy hub kit as well. they have hub kits for all major brands of motors.