fishing along hwy 60 in algonquin

huzzsaba

I know this is a long shot, but is there any decent brook trout fishing along Hwy 60 in Algonquin? I know the lakes in the middle of nowhere north of hwy have very good fishing, but with the family and a older car, I would like to stay as close as possible to the main road.

Other fish I don't mind going after are lake trout and walleye.

BTW I am asking about shore fishing early in June.

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

There are stocked lakes along 60 that offer brook trout, I don't know if the shore fishing would be any good, the earlier you can fish the better. If you have a canoe or something then you should be able to find some trout. Most of the lakes that have campsites at them should have lake trout, as for walleye you'll likely not find any. I know they are in Galeairy, I don't know if they've spread into Whitefish/Pen/Rock though.

Early June, you would be very lucky to get a speck or laker from shore, there is good shore fishing for specks along highway 60 in the spring but June, they'd be long gone. If I were you I'd wait for bass opener and go, tons of good bass spots from shore in Algonquin.

Thanks for the replies.

I have never canoed before but would love to try it out. I am just afraid of flipping over although I know it won't unless I do something crazy. How stable are canoes for fishing suppose I do hook into something big?

Are there lakes where they allow motorized boats or rent them out? I will continue to search and really appreciate all the help here :).

Edited by huzzsaba

Boats are allowed in some Algonquin Lakes, here is a list of the lakes that allow boats (with their respective motor restrictions):

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/park_management/motor-restrictions.php

And no one rents boats in Algonquin Park.

As for fishing out of a canoe, I would suggest paddling one around for a little while before attempting to fish from it, just so that you know the capacities of the canoe. It's best to figure out the tipping point before you potentially donate your tackle to the lake haha

Edited by Garfisher

• 4 weeks later...

So looks like I won't be heading to algonquin until late September or later. I know the fish go into deeper water during the summer months. When do they come back to shallower waters for a better chance to shore fish?

Thanks

Trout season closes September 31st in Algonquin.

Brookies will come to the surface in certain locations and certain times in June but being on shore you'll be very lucky to come across such a situation.

As mentioned there's no motorboat rentals in the Park. The reality is that it's a canoeing destination so if you're not comfortable in a canoe it's not a very good destination.

The thing to consider is that June is primetime for bugs in the Park.

Good luck in your quest. Perhaps look to a lake further to the south that rents boats.

So looks like I won't be heading to algonquin until late September or later. I know the fish go into deeper water during the summer months. When do they come back to shallower waters for a better chance to shore fish?

Thanks