Fishing Espanola- HELP!

spanky

So it officially happened, my brother and I were made fun of by our wives for lack of fish... He lives in Espanola and we visit yearly for a weekend to do a bit of shore fishing (no boat) and have caught maybe 4-5 fish, no walleye and 1 snot rocket... so this year we are heading up Aug/Sept for a visit and am hoping someone can help us get into some fish, we are okay with renting a boat from somewhere/someone or fishing from shore- we just wanna quiet the girls and have some fun... we see eachother once or twice a year so it's always good for catching up...

Can someone suggest a place to start... lake/river? boat rental? willing to drive an hour... walleye/brookies... again, seeking direction not honey holes... as we are apparently very clueless to the area...

Think we've fished Tulloch and either St. Leonard or pleasant lake, Brazil lake aswell as the little arm/bay of the spanish that panache rd crosses... and some stream out toward black bear camp... any help on where we should get a boat in the area and get some reults? suggestions on shore fishing to get some results? best time (aug/sept/oct)? We have been using jigs and gold spoons for pike as well....

I can't hang my head walking in the door again... and facebook teasing is starting... so i've come to the most resourceful location I can think of...

Thanks for any and all direction (even if you tell me to go to hell lol)

edit: for the record we are normally C&R fisherman, but a small fish fry is nice once every 15-20yrs lol

Edited by phat bassturd

haha... Roy... i see you're on Boucherville, my wife is from Brossard/Greenfield Park i bet it's the french connection not the $100 and there's no way to break that bond, is there? How about I buy you the best sous-marin ever made from resto-delice when i'm there this summer (hey i wasn't cheap and said i'd buy you guy la potate- tho the are the best hotdogs i've had, who knew coleslaw would be so amazing on a hotdog?!)... guess it is kinda cheap compared to the $100 tho... lol

Edited by phat bassturd

thanks for the info guys...

Musky or Specks- Ramsey lake is about 45mins away in sudbury i believe? seems like theres some info on it and will dig around, thanks!

Joeytier- looking for a place to access that "little river" from shore, so far no luck... and manitoulin, wouldn't know where to begin, but will definately look around the .net and see if we can find anything up that way, we did end up in little current last time we were there, people were fishin' but it was a family ice cream trip so no tackle was taken...

My biggest fear is ending up on private property and causing an issue... no problem putting the leg work in tho :)

Apsey Lake is about 10 minutes from Espanola. The Lodge off Hwy 6, used to rent boats, not sure about that now. Great Walleye fishing and Pike. The Bass are huge there. Both Largemaouth and smallmouth available. Top water fishing is great there.

Clear Lake is good for Smallmouth too. Canoe rentals available at the motel.

Penage lake road has a bunch of Lakes available for shore fishing. Google maps will show the way. Lenard lake has some good shore fishing. I go out every day.

Virtually any body of water within a 20 minute drive has great fishing.

If you have a water craft the launch ramp at Black Creek connects to the Spanish river.

There isn't much private land that you have to worry about in this area other than the obvious camp property. People are still pretty laid back here. Toronto mentality sticks out like a sore thumb here in the north.

muddler

Edited by muddler

About 10 or 15 minutes south of Espanola on Highway #6 you will find Widgawa Lodge. They have boat rentals there. They are located on the West river, but about a 5 minute boat ride along the river gives you access to Charlton lake and Frood Lake. Both are excellent pike and bass lakes.

Enjoy

Cheers Sandbag

thanks for the help everyone, will definately be doing as much research as i can on all the options.. nice to have some good folks to shine some light and guide the way a little bit!!

muddler- my brother lives on albert st there in town and despite him working in hvac, playing baseball and now working/volunteering with the fire dept. he hasn't seem to have met many people who either fish or want to share much about the area... which is undertandable i guess... we have fished a small lake of panage rd after walking down atv trails and a little incline at the end, got a couple bass... but the eyes, all about the eyes this year (well really all about quiting the wives lol)... thanks again for the help up there, maybe hhe/we will bump into on one of our "adventures" :)

Phat have you ever tried fishing the shoreline right at the bridge in Little Current at Mant. Island. Try big spoons, rapala's, spinners or minnows on three way set ups.

Also off the docks in Little Current.

Pike, bass, walleye.

Good luck

Dave... we were on little current once a few years ago, we went for ice cream and i can't remember if it was there where we walked down to the river or if it was elsewhere... think there was a little tackle shop and a long boardwalk kinda thing there, sorry can't remember... guessing thats where you mean? Thought about trying the Niagara River steelhead setup there (3way with streamer and 3/4oz sinker- have a 9' med action or 11' light) and seeing if it worked or not... will bring lots of spoons and have a ton of rebel fast-tracs (more confidence in them than rapalas) to try- thanks for the heads up!

young- I will check with the marina/cottages up that way and see if they can get us in a boat and on some fish! Thanks for the recommendation... we definately wanted to try Lang and if it's got a few fish there, hopefully we can get some!! Thanks