Differential Alignment? NF

sneak_e_pete

I have a 2013 Dodge Ram 4x4 with 55,000km on it. The dealer is saying that I need a differential alignment done as preventative maintenance to the tune of $700. This is not the result of a problem or diagnosis...just preventative. Seems steep and a little early for this. I tow my 14ft about 4 times a year and dont do heavy hauling.

Interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

You talking the drive pinion to ring gear.. that's the only "differential" alignment I know of, and I doubt there's anyone in the garage that knows how to set up and blue a ring gear for pattern! I call Bull on this one... it's under warrantee and if something like that is necessary it's covered.

..and if you're talking axle "dog tracking" in relation to the body, again.. . it should have been installed straight at the factory when it went together and the thing is pinned into place on the spring, so I can't see where they're going to move it to.

Edited by irishfield

Sure it wasnt a 4x4 service front and rear diff oils and transfer case fluid.

Dont think theren $750 though 2.5hrs lab and fluid.

If your towing chrysler recs diff service every 48k if your even only pulling a little boat. If your submerging axle should be changingnit more frequently.

if its a hemi due for spark plugs unless equipped with iridium plugs

You talking the drive pinion to ring gear.. that's the only "differential" alignment I know of, and I doubt there's anyone in the garage that knows how to set up and blue a ring gear for pattern! I call Bull on this one... it's under warrantee and if something like that is necessary it's covered.

..and if you're talking axle "dog tracking" in relation to the body, again.. . it should have been installed straight at the factory when it went together and the thing is pinned into place on the spring, so I can't see where they're going to move it to.

Just my opinion? Best answer, it's not like you took them apart and changed gear ratios. Even if they drain the gear oil and analyzed it and found excessive metal in the oil it would seem like a manufacturing defect to me, a warranty issue.

I have a 2013 Dodge Ram 4x4 with 55,000km on it. The dealer is saying that I need a differential alignment done as preventative maintenance to the tune of $700. This is not the result of a problem or diagnosis...just preventative. Seems steep and a little early for this. I tow my 14ft about 4 times a year and dont do heavy hauling.

Interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Who is the dealer so I can avoid them like the plague. Next thing they'll want to refill light bulb oil.