Trolling Motor - Minn Kota or MotorGuide (GPS)

hutch4113

Was thinking of the upgrade myself.Is the pedal really that necessary when you have the remote?.Maybe leaving your hands free is a bonus?

I have copilot on the minn Kota on my 14 footer, I have a motorguide with a remote key fob and also a wireless foot pedal on my 16 footer. My minnnkota is not an ipilot unit and you can use the foot pedal. I have used nothing but the hand remote on either of them. I can't see a reason to. Maybe if I was a bass fisherman fishing slop??? I don't see myself using a foot pedal again any time soon, other than temporary if a handheld unit crapped out.

I have copilot on the minn Kota on my 14 footer, I have a motorguide with a remote key fob and also a wireless foot pedal on my 16 footer. My minnnkota is not an ipilot unit and you can use the foot pedal. I have used nothing but the hand remote on either of them. I can't see a reason to. Maybe if I was a bass fisherman fishing slop??? I don't see myself using a foot pedal again any time soon, other than temporary if a handheld unit crapped out.

Just to be clear, you can use your foot pedal with a Co-Pilot on a Powerdrive V2 but you cannot connect the pedal with an I-Pilot on the same PD-V2. On the Terrova you can use both the I-Pilot and footpedal simultaneously. I am not aware of the switch that Landry mentioned but it may well exist.

LIke others, I put a co-pilot on my PD-V2 and never used the foot pedal ever again. I'm on my second Terrova now and the foot pedals have never been plugged in. Once you have a handheld you'll never go back. Also, as far as the accuracy of the Minn-Kota spot lock goes, I have used it out in 3 foot swells perch fishing and it held me within a 10 foot radius according to the chartplotter. It was even better in flat water. If the Motorguide is more accurate than that it is really accurate...

Tupelo, here is a link to a Minn Kota serial number guide so you can figure out the year of it:

http://www.fish307.com/minn-kota-serial-number-guide.aspx

Edited by G.mech