Lowrance Fishfinder/GPS Unit

Stoty

Hey everyone,

I am going to a Lowrance fishfinder/GPS unit, but am wondering if I should go with the LMS-527C dumb ass iGPS that has the internal antenna, or go with the LMS-525C dumb ass which has the external antenna.

What is the difference between the external vs the internal (besides one being on the outside, lol) antennas?

Does one out-perform the other?

Which one do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

these days the only real reason to get an external antenna is because it's mounted somewhere that's blocking direct sight of the Sats. (windshield frame, top on the boat or fly bridge above you) and or if another piece of electronic is close and is affecting it

otherwise the internal antenna is fine

I wont be tilting the unit very much. It will be mounted right in front of me on the dash, while driving. I usually sit the same way when I am driving, so once I mount it, it is pretty much going to stay put. Not much moving at all.

I think I should stick to the internal antenna then.

I have had and seen problems with GPS units made by Lowrance. I have a iWay 500c for the truck and had to send it back once already. Now sometimes it just shuts down for no reason. I installed a Lowrance 480 unit for a friend and it kept losing a signal on Lake Erie every time we headed west and I had a Lowrance Loran - C unit years ago that I sent back 3 times and it still didn't work properly. However, I do like their sonar units.

I just bought the LMS-525C-dumb ass

I opted for the 525 because I read too many reports of lost signals with the built-in antenna. It's possible that people buying the internal units are losing signal with the top up or are always fishing under bridges but it seemed to be prevelent enough that I decided to go with the external. With that said, if they were really that bad I'm sure they would be off the market.

Why are you looking at the dumb ass unit? The 50 kHz transducer is better suited for deeper saltwater applications and the 200 kHz cone is only 12*. I ended up buying a seperate 200 kHz transducer with a 20* cone for $80. I may install both... haven't decided yet. If I do, I can add a switch to select between the two (another $80).

-Brian

Oh, I didnt know what the Dual Frequency actually did.

I dont need the dual frequency because I am just fishing locally.

Maybe I should go with the Lowrance LMS-522C IGPS.

That seems to have the 200 kHz transducer on it.

I rarely (if ever) fish under bridges, so it wouldnt matter to me if the signal cut out, for the 30 seconds I am under a bridge.

Basically, I will be fishing the Southern Ontario area, so the Lowrance LMS-522C IGPS would probably be my best bet. Yes?

Oh, I didnt know what the Dual Frequency actually did.

I dont need the dual frequency because I am just fishing locally.

Maybe I should go with the Lowrance LMS-522C IGPS.

That seems to have the 200 kHz transducer on it.

I rarely (if ever) fish under bridges, so it wouldnt matter to me if the signal cut out, for the 30 seconds I am under a bridge.

Basically, I will be fishing the Southern Ontario area, so the Lowrance LMS-522C IGPS would probably be my best bet. Yes?

I'm not sure I need the dual frequency but I'm glad I opted for the external antenna. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably go with the 520... save $50 on the intial purchase and another $80 for the 20* 200 kHz transducer. I also like the idea of expanding on my system, with the external antenna I can add another sonar/gps on the bow and tap into the signal via LowranceNET and share waypoints.

-Brian

EDIT: You mention fishing locally... the dual frequency transducer can be used on Lake Ontario. The wide cone enables you to watch your cannonballs at depth... I'm hoping to see the fish before the strike! I think fishindevl uses a 50/200 ducer, I wonder what he thinks about it.

Edited by SlowPoke

I have the lms 525 dumb ass on the big boat because it is an aluminum hardtop that an internal could not get a signal thru. the installation is only slightly different with you needing to drill a hole thru the area below the antenna then run the cord to the back of the monitor. The dual freq is a no brainer get them both if you plan on learning how to read the bottom for texture and hardness. One note though even though the 5" screen 525 has the ability to hook up radar the unit can only display radar it will not split screen until you get to the x27 or 28 unit. All in all it is one of the best units for the money.

Art

stoty; I just installed the 520C on my brothers boat. When we first turned it on all we got was an error message saying the GPS module was not responding. I called the support number and they asked all the correct questions like; "is it wired right?-- yes" "is the antenna obstucted?--no" and then "can you bring it in?" I live on Pigeon Lake and that is about a 2hr. trip one way but the answer was yes.

When I got there the tech. looked at it right away and said that the antenna was POOCHED and gave me another one. I reinstalled the unit and tried it again. Same problem. Called them again and said I would put the boat on the trailer and bring it to them, they said they would be waiting for me.

Pulled into the parking lot/loading dock area and 4 techs were waiting for me and they were all over the boat like monkeys on a bannana. First they double checked all my connections and found everything to be correct. Then they checked the antenna again and it was fried again. They replaced everything including the 520C and checked the GPS in the parking lot, everything was working fine locked on 6 satelites. Got back to the lake and launched and the GPS worked but the sonar would not stay locked on a depth even when just drifting (no cavitation.) By the way we also have a 125 sonar which uses the same transducer as the 520C and it works well, (just not colour or GPS) I am not a wizard when it comes to sonar and GPS but I do have over twenty years of experience when it comes to operating them and do know when there is something not right with a certain unit. My brother is going to take it back to where he purchased it and upgrade to a larger screen.

We may have just had a lemon and that does happen, but it was very frustrating. Personaly I like and prefer the Lorance products and can not say enough about the staff at the Lorance repair facility. I hope you have many years of reliable use from your new purchase.

Tom.