1998 Evinrude 30 hp..acting up

Muskieman

:wallbash: My 1998 Rude 30 tiller is acting up.

when i reach full throttle is seems to misfire until it warms up..then i'm ok.

this morning i went out and it did the same it ran fine for 10 minutes full throttle and then cut to one cylinder. after a while of investigation i determined that the lower ignition coil was'nt firing.

i trolled home to the dock with my electric. i decided to try it out at the dock and it ran fine on 2 cylinders. and after a 2 minute ride the coil cut out again.

now in my driveway with the muccf on it ran fine full out for 2 minutes and did it again.

#1 ; i'll try switching my coils around, sounds like the lower one gets hot and cuts out, cools off and runs fine.

#2 C.D.I i do not want to buy a new one!!! too $$

strange.. it just started to run on one again and i give it a shot of gas and #2 kicks in.

plugs are new, checked all my wiring for cracks corrosion and ect . everything is tight.

gel behind C.D.I is clean and does'nt seem to have heated up dry as a bone.

i've heard of smaller Rudes havin coil problems but are these the right symptoms.

cause i know that on a car a coil either works or it does'nt.

Fishin for tips.

thanks for all the help in advance.

Muskieman

Odd. I am also looking at replacing a Coil..... one thing to try try a different set of plugs. I know you stated they are new but I have seen more then one plug act up new from the box, Make sure it is also properly gapped. Try a Decent plug NGK's are probably the best out there. worth a shot brother. Also check the wire from the coil to the plug for a short.

Good luck!

Gerritt.

I have the same problem with my 1990 35HP Force tiller (biggest POS ever made). A new coil would cost me $190 US & that POS motor isn't worth that much.

Good luck in fixing your problem.

Are you most definitely sure it's a coil and not a bad plug. I had the same symptoms on an old chainsaw, ran for 1-2 minutes then died, let it cool, then it would go like a bat outa hades for another 2 minutes. Tried an old plug, problem solved.

Try getting new plugs first, it could be a bad plug, you never know. 15 bucks is better than a couple of hundred. If it isn't the plugs, well, you will have a spare set in the boat (which you should anyways). Good luck and good fishing.

i just put 2 plugs i for good measure and it ran fine for 10 minutes full tilt and is doing the same.

i swapped the coils from top to bottom and guess what now it's the top cylinder that gets no spark.

now i'm 99.9% sure it's a coil.

time to call the dealer .