stingray hydrofoil junior

BFSC Kevin

i have a chance to buy one for $45.

it is for my 20hp merc.

i noticed when i go top speed on it, it starts tilting to one side.. but i'm pretty sure it is evenly weighted..

maybe the hydrofoil will help with this?

any comments on them?

i've seen mixed reviews of them...

thanks for any replies in advance!

I have the same on my 60 HP merc, and I think it works great. It help to get you on plane faster, and you can cruise at slower speeds and still keep the boat on plane, and it also gives the boat more stability even if the weight isn't distributed evenly. For that price I would go for it.

Kevin,

I had a 14ft aluminum with a 25hp Honda 4stroke on the back (heavy, heavy, heavy) and the performance difference after adding the hydrofoil was unbelievable! It got on plane faster, planed at slower speeds and didn't seem to lose much if any speed. I don't think you'd notice as much a difference on larger boats but this situation made me a believer. (no amount of trim was going to help)

I personally don't believe in them.. If you've got troubles getting up on plane, then you're boat is under powered.. Just my opinion ...

Tiz

Ya, well pigs can fly too if you stick a rocket up their a... As for drilling, measure twice drill once. You may need to place a couple home made rubber shims between the fins and the cavitation plate, I've had them on both motors, and as long as you don't stand on them, they should hold up fine.

they are nice to have and if you don't have power trim, even more important to have one...

you do lose a little top end if you have power trim...sometimes if you don't have power trim you can gain a bit on the top end....

but first I would be looking at what is making it lean to one side....is the motor perfectly strain up and down, lining up with the centre of the boat, maybe you need to move the trim tab a bit to compensate for the rotation of the prop..something is making it lean to one side and I would try to fix that first....IMHO

I have it on 14' with 9.9 hp merc

I did not expect much from this piece of plastic , but I was pleasantly surprised.

The boat was more stable, bow little bit lower, and I crack my top speed record by 10%,

Don’t laugh ; it went from 25 km/hr to 27.5 km/hr. :o

Also it comes to my mind that this can be used as a step if you decide to board the boat in

"unconventional" way. :rolleyes:

med_gallery_186_32_44655.jpg

they are nice to have and if you don't have power trim, even more important to have one...

you do lose a little top end if you have power trim...sometimes if you don't have power trim you can gain a bit on the top end....

but first I would be looking at what is making it lean to one side....is the motor perfectly strain up and down, lining up with the centre of the boat, maybe you need to move the trim tab a bit to compensate for the rotation of the prop..something is making it lean to one side and I would try to fix that first....IMHO

I'd agree with Terry on this one. I've had two of the Stingrays in the past, one on a 9.9 and one on a 20hp. THe performance after installing was great! Faster to get on plain and better ride. Not sure that it hurt the speed but were only taking about a 9,9 and a 20hp here. Will it help with your leaning problem? Don't know. Might be best to try some of Terry's suggestions first.

I would say if you are close to the max hp rating of the boat it is unnecessary. I installed one on mine and don't think it was worth the money. Mine came with speed caps to cover the mounting holes- well the speed caps get lost pretty quick durring use. I e-mailed the company and they advised me to use glue next time- these instructions were not on the package- I will not endorse their product.

Keram, I don't think it would be th best idea to stand on it..lol

I agree with you 100% that it is the best idea, but if you do not have any other means to get back in to your boat in the middle of the lake, anything can be helpfull. BTW, I 've already tested it in 3' of water and it can be done.

I think Terry's got it, the tab adjustment will make it easier to steer too.

Best foil I've had was a spar, it was just flat aluminum with a slight bend at the back. The foils provide lift and some say stress the outboard in places and ways that they are not made to do. We put one on an overpowered 16' and it got so much of the boat out of the water that the steering got loose and scary.