June 2nd Carping - my part of the report

Victor

Made plans with MJL and took my dad carp fishing for the first time on saturday. MJL has already got the details in his report but we didn't really get to fish together ... our swims are about 100m apart ... so here's what happened on my side ...

shortly after we got setup ... my dad's alarm went off and he's into his first ever carp/first fish of the day ... i was busy tying up aonther rig and he told me that the fish is running away from the direction of my line so i haven't retrieved my line back yet ... 2 seconds later ... my alarm went off ... i was really excited since we got a double header right after we got there ... our lines started going towards each other and i thought "o xxxx, i should have retrieved it right after he got a fish on" ... ... we finally got her out of the water without too much trouble and guess what we saw??

if you look closely, there are two hair rigs and they are both hooked on the inside of the lower lip

IMG_3416.jpg

my dad had a blast ... his previous PB (in terms of weight) was a 2lb largemouth ...

IMG_3438b.jpg

here's a fat 15lber

IMG_3435b.jpg

this pic is quite similar to yours Mike :D

IMG_3457b.jpg

my "end result" is smaller though ... but still alot of fun .. these fish are lean and strong

IMG_3476.jpg

it took a while for my dad to get used to the long rods but he got quite good at it after a few fish

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3489.jpg

just gotta love that rod-bend

IMG_3481b.jpg

here's another view of the double header "kiss action"

IMG_3484.jpg

all in all we banked 12 fish together in the 12-18lb range and lost 8-9 (yes it is a ridiculous number and i still haven't figured out what's wrong ... will probably try a different leader material) I also had the pleasure to meet quite a few other carp anglers ... they're all very nice and helpful.

lastly ... wolfville, this picture is just for you ... the cute little ducklings are hungry and they need to be fed. I think feeding them is more important than work :whistling:

IMG_3442.jpg

Edited by Victor

Does that mean you'll have to get another carp setup? Because we all know your dad took yours.

Next thing you know, he'll be:

- Wanting to go to distant trophy carp waters

- Purchasing a bivvy to fish long sessions

- Upgrading to the same tackle that Danny Fairbrass fishes with

- Talking like Danny Fairbrass ("come on!, "get in the net my son!", "she's a biggin")

- Develop his own bait recipes that he won't share with you

All during that time while you're at school. Life of a carper is sick isn't it?

Nice meeting your dad and happy that he had a wonderful time out there. I still cannot believe he out-fished you on his first ever carping trip. But that's good because he will want to do more and the side benefit is that you get lots of quality time together. Was a great outing.

Nice meeting your dad and happy that he had a wonderful time out there. I still cannot believe he out-fished you on his first ever carping trip. But that's good because he will want to do more and the side benefit is that you get lots of quality time together. Was a great outing.

gee ... thanks for posting that up... i obviously didn't want anyone to know :wallbash:

haha i am just kidding. He did outfish me in the morning but i think i caught up in the afternoon when things got slower. Maybe he still ended up catching more but as long as he had fun on his first time it's all that matters to me.

It was nice meeting you and i had a great time too. I'm thinking of convincing my dad for another trip on fathers' day (he also likes rock climbing so i don't know which one he would like to do more) ... what do you say? :thumbsup_anim:

What? Victor, you didn't feed those ducklings for me? I thought we had a deal ....;-)

Another nice report. Tell us what you dad thinks about carp fishing now. Felt bad that one time we fished "the spot" close to home and he didn't catch anything (or we didn't catch anything).

You need a 2nd setup, let your dad know where they can be bought from and you may not need to spend a cent ;-)