trailer bearings

robinwood

Hello 2007- I am an occasional poster and fisherman (regrettably) -

Last year some postings gave good advise to check my wheel bearings , on my last trip in August

one of the bearing caps came off somewhere on the 401- I had a local garage repack and re cap both wheels ,

on return home 2 weeks later - the cap was gone again and while putting the boat in the garage I noticed the wheel

wobbling!!-I found instructions on a aite through the board which seemed to illustrate the steps required to replace the bearings - However , I was never able to complete to repair - the boat is in the garage sitting on a jack- the dilemma is that I do not know how to get it somewhere else to be fixed- I have included a couple of pictures of my

bearing replacement progress- but I am now stuck -

if you can see the photos - I think I did this right-tried to send bass pictures last year but failed--anyway- the photo of the shaft shows two rings at the rear which are loose, a small thin metal jagged ring that moves- another

small ring near the threads that does not move- cannot get it off!!

the parts are the ones I did get off ,the white hub , of of which a few small cylindrical bits of metal fell out-bottom left of photo, a shear pin, large lock ring and 4 nuts -

I found some fishing line wrapped around the shaft as well.

If you have done a replacement like this, I would appreciate any comments -suggestions - to solve the problem -

and certainly appreciate your time in responding -

maybe I should stick with fishing and not trailer repair!

Just from the pictures it looks like your outer race of bearing fell apart and the race holder could possibly be seized to the axle. Oil it down well, and find a short piece of pipe(heavy wall) that will fit over the axle shaft, with pipe and a smooth surface inside there is less chance of damaging the threads. You can heat the race with a propane torch also, try not to heat the axle too much. That might allow it to move when you hit the pipe with a hammer. A gear puller might also work if you have one available.

If your bearing caps keep falling off clean the surfaces that meet and put some Loctite or even super glue to help hold them on.

#1. Where do you live, maybe a closeby member can render a bit of help. #2. I only carry the Cdn Tire repair kit as a last resort fix for on the road. Go to a good bearing shop like Canadian Bearingand get the following parts,#12165 oil/grease seal, it's the double seal model much preferred for be submersed in water, then you'll need 2 X L44649/L44610 bearing and race sets and a cap for a .1980 hub. You'll also have to remove the old races from inside the hub, not a hard job. During replacement of all parts, your work area shall be scrupulously clean so you don't get ANY dirt into the new parts. If you are unsure of what you're doing, have someone knowledgeable lend a hand, last thing you need is a flying tire taking out someone else at highway speed. When you go to the bearing shop take the old parts along to make sure to get the correct replacement. Good luck and don't go over crazy with the grease.

Robinwood where do you live I would be glad to help you. I am in the niagara area. It looks like the bearing is siezed on the axle shaft. You will need some heat or a puller or both ,they can also be cut off with a torch by someone with a little talent. Then just pound the old races out of the hub. Pound in some new ones pack your bearings and your of to the races. A set of bearing buddies are a great investment and then you can grease them on a regular basis.

Thanks very much for all the responses - I have not had a chance to work on it this week.

I live in Mississauga if someone is near by I may well take you up on the offer it is worth some sort of prize,

drink(s) or whatever!-

I will try once more to get the parts out this weekend !

I did read some of those previous web instructions ,looked pretty easy - but thought I had a major problem when I had to pull the hub off and that extra ring was stuck on the shaft- I take it it should come off ! so will apply some

force and wd40 - I will not try and use any of the old parts - It makes sense I think to get bearing buddies -

You are very correct safety should be the main issue here.

I really appreciate the advice - doubt that anyone at Cad. Tire would be useful- took 30 minutes for them to find the special rod and reel on sale recently.

I keep getting Princess Auto catalogs with all these nifty bearing and axle parts advertised - has anyone delt with them- do the staff know things ?

thanks again I will keep you posted - but would rather be fishing!