Bilge pump help (NF)

tizfun

Hey everyone, I need help with my bilge pump.. Bilge won't work when flipping the switch on the dash.. Dash panel light switch light comes on and I checked the fuse but the pump won't work.. Any help would be greatly appreciated... It's a 2 way switch with the fuse holder underneath..

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiz

EH! Try hardwiring it direct to the battery and if it works you know it's not the pump.

then go to your switch and bypass it by crossing the wires, you probably have four wires back there

1 ground 2 lives coming in and 1 going out [1 live is for the light usually smaller guage wire] then if the pump works, you'll need a new switch[ the light has it's own feed and shares a common ground it can work ,while another contact in the same switch has failed]

but an even easier way is with a test light, just use the common ground behind the switch ,ground the light. poke at the other feeds to see if you have power. if you have power coming out of the switch

go test the pump the same way.

i hope i haven't confused you and caused more good than harm, good luck.

Muskieman

Thanks muskieman.. Here's what I have done so far.. It's a new pump.. I disconnected it from the back of the boat and brought it up to the dash panel.. I flipped the switch to the on position and the switch light came on.. I touched the black and the brown to the switches black and brown and the pump went on.. Seem like there's no power going to the back of the boat.. Still the switch ??

Thanks,

Tiz

dang really hot in the driveway working on this......

The light in the switch works independent of the switch function itself but you are probably right, no power to the back of the boat or, check to see if there is an inline fuse (often located near the pump itself).

Big Cliff, I may be out your way tomorrow if this doesn't work for me today.. Give me some directions just in case...

Muskieman, no fuses in the rear.. Couple on the battery, checked those and all ok..

Will continue to work in this, will swap switch from the horn to see if it is the switch..

Thanks again,

Tiz

Don't spend too much time on it, I can probably have it fixed in about 20 minutes, I've had lots of practice.

Hwy. 36 from Lindsay to Bobcaygeon. About 5 minutes out of Lindsay turn left onto Snug Harbour Rd. our address is 313 Snug Harbour Rd.

Call and let me know if you are coming and about what time so I'll be sure to be here.

705-328-0750

Cell 705-879-1765

Well it's done !!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a loose connection under the dash.. I looked underneath and moved the main plug (this is the plug that all the wires from the panel plug into the wiring to the back of the boat.) the wiring harness... Brown wire was not in all the way so I pushed it in and the pump started humming.. put it all back together and it works fine now.. Go figure !!!!

Big Cliff, I thank you for the generous offer and some day I may need it again.. There aren't many people like you to offer their services and mostly their time to help a stranger !!!!

Muskieman, I thank you too for your input.. I printed your comments and went out to the boat with them in hand.. You're right, too many wires for an a guy like me....

You guys are awesome !!!!!!!!!

Tiz

Glad you got it figured out.

You are quite welcome, always glad to help when I can!

There are no strangers here, just some OFNr's that you haven't met yet and we all help each other. Your turn will come LOL.

keep my number handy.

Big Cliff

On a kinda related note, on the May 24 weekend I was washing my boat down in the water & the pump was turning ok but no water coming out. It took me 3 hours to get down to it, pull it out (had to learn how the first time around) only to find nothing wrong and after putting it all together and trying it a few times it finally decided to start working. I noticed the exhaust tube has a big loop that almost goes to the top of the boat up in the hull and I think that was holding back the presure; does anyone know if that loop needs to be there or was it the installers way of hiding an extra foot of hose?

Johnny