Ice fishing in the Port Colbourne area?

The JAY

Okay, been away a while, but I'm back now!!! I'm curious if anyone is ice fishing in the Port Colbourne area for smelt, or anything else. We did a weekend up on Lake Nippising last weekend, but it was a total bust. We are thinking of doing another weekend up on Temagami or somewhere, but in the meantime we want to do some local fishing. Not really a fan of Hamilton Harbour, but I have heard people fish in the Port Colbourne area. I'm hoping someone is willing to give me an idea what's going on locally, so I can get out a bit for day trips, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I was up on Nipissing over the weekend as well, just a few cigar pickerel and a couple mud puppies.... not very good.

What do you want to fish for?

Valens has bluegill and crappie, with a few pike thrown in.... C&R though.

You mention Port Colbourne, that is around 1hr10min from Hamilton? What about Lake Simcoe, about 1hr30min from Hamilton?

Burt :)

Thanks guys. Really, I'm looking to see what is available for ice fishing. A day trip is good, or even sleeping in the truck, if I can find ice thick enough to drive on. As for species, I'm not particular. The only reason I mentioned Colbourne was that someone had mentioned smelt through the ice there was a lot of fun. There, Dunnville, Dover... I'm just trying to get an idea what is a viable option without driving all over the Golden Horseshoe. Simcoe is an option too...

I was up on Nipissing over the weekend as well, just a few cigar pickerel and a couple mud puppies.... not very good.

Did you contact the MNR about the Mud Puppies? Another member made a post about the MNR asking for any information on them if you catch one eh. From what he said you can send the info to this E-mail - [email protected]

Sugarloaf marina in Port Colborne can be good for perch at times. Also the odd pike.

Also consider Beacon marina on Lake Ontario and 50 point Marina all closer to The Hammer.

The Grand River in Dunnville well below the dam for walleye

Cheers

Craig

If you are looking for smelt fishing in Port Colborne give Rameys Bend a try on the welland canal that has always been the hot spot easy access park your car and walk 50yards and you are on the ice stop at the local bait shop Erie Tracker 111 Killlaly st west Phone # 905-834-9218 and they can give you directions to Rameys bend if I were you I would call them before making the trip down and ask them what the ice conditions are like hope this helps.

Cheers Mitch