Bob's Lake

hutch4113

Did a quick search on the forum, but got too many results - guessing because of Bob.... :tease: .

Anyone fish there in Summer? Going to be renting a cottage there, and wanted to get some feedback on what the fishing is like. Couple of suggestions seems to point to Crow Lake (which attaches) as the better location.

Anyway please feel free to post and/or PM me.

Thanks.

Tupe

Man I miss that place. My wife and I bought a cottage on Bobs back in '92 before we were married and spent 11 years there. Not sure where you will be staying but it's not untypical of any other lake where fish relate to structure. Find shoals with both weeds and rocks and you will find smallmouth. Lots of shallow bays with timber and weeds for largemouth and pike. Both Green Bay and Crow Lake are stocked with Lake Trout. Most of our summer walleye were caught at dusk and dark, worms worked well and then switch to trolling body baits at dark. Rip jigging weed flats produced walleye during the day.

BTW, the lake name is actually Bobs Lake, no apostrophe. I guess it was never possessed by someone named Bob.

Good luck on the fishing! We're hoping to rent on Bobs this summer too. This will likely be our last summer renting and then we'll buy a cottage. The lake looks like it's big enough with points and bays that it'll likely take you 20 years to learn the lake. We've rented on big and small lakes and this one looks to be the perfect size. Not to hijack the thread but I think I've read somewhere that you can get a small boat from Bobs into Crow? Maybe someone can clarify that?

Not only a small boat will pass through the narrows from Bobs Lake into Crow but big boats too. The channel was dredged at one time and there is remnants of an old dam on the rocks at the mouth of the channel on the Bobs side. I will caution you when travelling through the channel in the fall when the lake level has bottomed out.

My wife's family has been renting for 2 weeks in the summer for 25 years. Last year bass fishing was a disaster and the walleye inconsistent. Lots of small pike and a HEAPS of bluegills and crappies.

Its a great lake for swimming and such but honestly, as i say to my wife, if it wasn't for her families history there, i wouldn't rent or buy on that lake based on the fishing. By summers end they drain it for the rideau and it is lowered a few feet at least.

You might want to bring some small planer boards. Larger walleye often suspend just under the surface off fast-breaking points, especially early and late in the day. Once you find them, spinner rigs with a worm work pretty well.

Overall its a pretty typical lake for its area. Bass probably get fished harder than all other species combined.