Need help with a Roku Streaming stick . NF

davey buoy

Working amazing on my 40" lcd Phillips tv. Nice picture,streams flawlessly.The stick resembles a usb memory stick,but maybe twice as big and HDMI.Plugs directly into one of the ports.For me HDMI 3 is the easiest to get at.

My surround sound system is a older Panasonic 5 disc changer that works in 5.1.Works great with the cable PVR and dvd player .The surround sound receiver does not have HDMI.I use one pair of rca jacks from the out put to the input of the tv.That's it.Cable box to HDMI #1,Roku to #3.My problem is when I switch the tv to #3,there is no surround sound.The only way I can hear it is through the tv.speakers.

Called Roku,the technician new less than me. I understand it's 2.1,but why won't it come out the surround sound speakers?.

One thing I did notice was if the cable box is left on,sound still will come through the 5.1,surround. I Can see the Roku picture on #3 hdmi,kinda weird.Switched them up and still does the same thing so I believe the hdmi ports are working properly.

Looked on line and the terms they use are a little overwhelming to me. lol.Any ideas?thanks for any help in advance guys.

The streaming stick is wireless,with a power cord attached to the stick.That's it.

Edited by davey buoy

It works when the cable is on because the cable box is processing the audio, it does not with the stick because your tv is processing the audio...does that make sense???

Your going to have to get the 5.1 that is coming from the Roku to TV via HDMI TO your surround sound.

So I would think audio output on your TV would have to go to the Panasonic.

With my streaming box I use a digital link from the TV to the sound bar to get stereo.

That's probably as clear as mud...Lol

It works when the cable is on because the cable box is processing the audio, it does not with the stick because your tv is processing the audio...does that make sense???

Your going to have to get the 5.1 that is coming from the Roku to TV via HDMI TO your surround sound.

So I would think audio output on your TV would have to go to the Panasonic.

With my streaming box I use a digital link from the TV to the sound bar to get stereo.

That's probably as clear as mud...Lol

My Panasonic has no hdmi ports.The only hdmi ports are on the cable box and tv.Is there any other way around that? Remember the streaming stick is only a stick.Not a box like the Roku 3.They said I could exchange it and pay the difference,but still not sure if that will work through the surround system.Thanks.Kinda understanding lol.

Also what Roku do you have and I am assuming you went to the Roku menu to set up the audio.

Not all Roku stream in 5.1

This one is 2.1,just trying to get it through the surround/home theater system even in 2.1.Not sure that would work.This where my problem is I'm thinking.Did the menu,still only tv speakers working.

Edited by davey buoy

I wonder if you could just put the roku into a port on the cable box..it's been awhile since I have used electronics without hdmi.

in order to hear stereo you are going to have to get that 5.1 that the Roku is give you to your receiver try audio output on tv to audio imput on the receiver.

Edited by lookinforwalleye

you;re gonna want a hdmi capable receiver sooner than later

the way most people have it setup is all their devices connect to their surround receiver via hdmi then one hdmi cable to the tv. the receiver handles the switching between devices.

i'm surprised you get anything out of your rear speakers the way you have it (if i am understanding it right -- devices into the tv via hdmi then tv to receiver with rca left and right for the audio) and i suspect it's just a copy of your front left and right coming out of the rear, not real surround.

the old way of 5.1 surround sound before hdmi was with 5 (or 6 if you have a sub) cables, one for each channel (the two fronts, front center and the two rear channels).

I wonder if you could just put the roku into a port on the cable box..it's been awhile since I have used electronics without hdmi.

in order to hear stereo you are going to have to get that 5.1 that the Roku is give you to your receiver try audio output on tv to audio imput on the receiver.

Will try that,thanks.

you;re gonna want a hdmi capable receiver sooner than later

the way most people have it setup is all their devices connect to their surround receiver via hdmi then one hdmi cable to the tv. the receiver handles the switching between devices.

i'm surprised you get anything out of your rear speakers the way you have it (if i am understanding it right -- devices into the tv via hdmi then tv to receiver with rca left and right for the audio) and i suspect it's just a copy of your front left and right coming out of the rear, not real surround.

the old way of 5.1 surround sound before hdmi was with 5 (or 6 if you have a sub) cables, one for each channel (the two fronts, front center and the two rear channels).

That's the 5.1 I have,but there is a cable that comes from the receiver to the sub,than individual wires to each speaker from the sub.Sounds excellent for example a helicopter flying in a movie,you can hear each speaker on it's own as it's going by.As far as the receiver,one pair of rca cables only out from the receiver to in at the back of the tv.Cable box,#1 hdmi,#3 Roku hdmi.fairly simple hook up but it may look like new receiver time ?.Thanks Raf,hope I explained it a little better?.

I am confused. You have an RCA OUT from the receiver to the TV?? You must have an out from the TV to the receiver????? Otherwise, how can audio be passed from the TV to the receiver?

I'll get a picture up of the back a little later.Thanks.A couple things I am going to try in the meantime .

I am confused. You have an RCA OUT from the receiver to the TV?? You must have an out from the TV to the receiver????? Otherwise, how can audio be passed from the TV to the receiver?

If you want dolby 5.1 more than likely your receiver and tv will have an optical port as well. That is another route you can go for audio.

Can't thank you guys enough for taking the time to try and help me figure this out.Here are 3 pictures as asked,mind the dust,the first will be the tv,then receiver,then cable box. As you will see,the cable box only has one hdmi and it's used obviously.

IMG_20150111_094849_zps0449c4e1.jpgIMG_20150111_094741_zps98e241ad.jpgIMG_20150111_101333_zps81c38476.jpg

Edited by davey buoy

Do you have headphone jack on the TV? Patch that thru to vcr audio in on receiver or get y adapters and patch thru to existing TV audio in jack. Anything going thru TV audio will go to your receiver that way.

I think upon closer viewing I have been mistaken.That red and white on the tv goes to the dvd player.The cable box and receiver are together by rca jacks then the hdmi up to#1 hdmi.I believe no headphone jack.Sorry about the confusion,but I don't use the dvd,so really the rca cables to the tv are not being used.

Where is the RCA cable on the back of the TV going? What is the box under the cable box?

From what I can tell you need to take the audio OUT from the TV and put that into your receiver. The audio should go through the HDMI cables to the TV and then out from the TV to your receiver. You shouldn't need the audio OUT from the cable to the receiver after that.

You have two options for that. On the TV, the RCA out that has the cable in it (I assume it's an OUT??) or the Digital Audio Out next to the service port. For the digital audio out you can buy a cable that ends in two RCA jacks.

Where is the RCA cable on the back of the TV going? What is the box under the cable box?

From what I can tell you need to take the audio OUT from the TV and put that into your receiver. The audio should go through the HDMI cables to the TV and then out from the TV to your receiver. You shouldn't need the audio OUT from the cable to the receiver after that.

You have two options for that. On the TV, the RCA out that has the cable in it (I assume it's an OUT??) or the Digital Audio Out next to the service port. For the digital audio out you can buy a cable that ends in two RCA jacks.

Read above and you will see I was mistaken.The two on the tv go to the dvd player under the cable box.Actually a red,white and yellow.No yellow used on the tv end .

Edited by davey buoy

It's really hard to tell, but I THINK this is the cable you need. 3.5mm phone connector to two RCA outs. The audio out on your TV doesn't really look like a phone connector though, but sometimes they look like that. Can you provide a model number for your TV?

4-5ft-Long-3-5mm-Aux-Audio-Output-Auxili

It's really hard to tell, but I THINK this is the cable you need. 3.5mm phone connector to two RCA outs. The audio out on your TV doesn't really look like a phone connector though, but sometimes they look like that. Can you provide a model number for your TV?

4-5ft-Long-3-5mm-Aux-Audio-Output-Auxili

The model # is Phillips 40PFL3706/F7 Thanks.

that's a digital audio out on the tv. this would work if the receiver had a digital audio in, but it doesn't (or it is not on the pic). it also doesn't look like you have any other audio out on the tv. the 3.5mm to rca cable will propably not even fit on the tv end but if it does do not try to hook up your receiver this way, you may damage it.

one of these dohickeys below will convert the digital audio out into an rca but you might as well save your pennies for a newer receiver and hook up everything the way i described in my first post or see if you can find a headphone jack like cliff described. this is just my opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053VKP8S

the reason your surround receiver works right now with the cable box is because you have the red & yellow on the out of the cable box going into the input on the receiver.

Edited by Raf

The cable I posted above is NOT the correct cable. You need a digital audio coaxial cable.

Read this on the Philips website.

My understanding is that you will need a digital to analog converter. So, you need a digital coax cable going from your TV to the converter. RCA cables then go from the converter to your receiver.

100824211837_38742.jpg

Unless of course, your receiver has a digital audio input. The picture doesn't show one.

Hopefully someone else can confirm this, I am no expert :)

The cable I posted above is NOT the correct cable. You need a digital audio coaxial cable.

Read this on the Philips website.

My understanding is that you will need a digital to analog converter. So, you need a digital coax cable going from your TV to the converter. RCA cables then go from the converter to your receiver.

100824211837_38742.jpg

Unless of course, your receiver has a digital audio input. The picture doesn't show one.

Hopefully someone else can confirm this, I am no expert :)

Thanks,no it doesn't have one.Where would I buy one of these,and would it be worth it?.If I was to buy a up to date receiver,would my existing speaker system still work using that one cable to the sub?.The new receiver would come with hdmi slots and the Roku would plug into one of them if what I'm thinking is correct.?.

here's a typical modern receiver looking from the back. your devices (roku, blueray, gaming system, cable box) plug into hdmi slots across the top. you connect to the tv with the hdmi out.

Denon_AVR-1713.jpg

the subwoofer connects using the rca plug (just your typical red & white cable -- you only use a red or white as subwoofer signal is mono).

the other speakers connect using either a banana plug that you plug in to the positive and negatives of each channel or speaker wire.

whether or not your existing speakers will work will depend on their impedance (ohms) and if each channel or speaker has their own wire.

Edited by Raf

here's a typical modern receiver looking from the back. your devices (roku, blueray, gaming system, cable box) plug into hdmi slots across the top. you connect to the tv with the hdmi out.

Denon_AVR-1713.jpg

the subwoofer connects using the rca plug (just your typical red & white cable -- you only use a red or white as subwoofer signal is mono).

the other speakers connect using either a banana plug that you plug in to the positive and negatives of each channel or speaker wire.

whether or not your existing speakers will work will depend on their impedance (ohms) and if each channel or speaker has their own wire.

Thanks Raf,simple enough,that is the route I will be going.Time to upgrade any ways.Just hoping I can use the same speakers as it really does sound great.Need to start looking around I guess.