Riggin' rod and reel setup recommendations

KraTToR

I'm currently in the market to upgrade my walleye lindy type rigging rod and reel and I'm looking for recommendations.

I currently use an all-purpose spinning rod (6'6", Med weight, fast action, 8lb test) with the open bail technique and would like something a little more specific.

My current choices includes the following rods with a Stradic Ci4 2500 spooled with 8lb mono or 15lb power pro:

St Croix Eyecon or Legend Tournament:

ECS/LTWS-70MLF Riggin' 7' ML Fast 1pce 4 - 10 1/8 - 3/8

ECS/LTWS-76MLXF Slip-N-Rig 7'6" ML X-Fast 1pce 4 - 10 1/8 - 3/8

Or a Fenwick Elitetech Walleye:

ETW72M-FS 7'2" ML Fast 1pce 4 - 10 1/8 - 3/8

ETW76M-FS 7'6" ML Fast 1pce 4 - 10 1/8 - 3/8

Or a Fenwick Aetos:

A721MXFS 7'2" M Fast 1pce 6 - 14 1/4 - 5/8

A761MLXFS 76" ML Fast 1pce 4 - 10 1/16 - 3/8

I really like the skeleton seat on the Legend Tournament and Aetos for extra sensitivity. I also use this technique in shallower water (8;12') where I use 1/8oz slip or bullet sinkers.

Thoughts?

Edited by KraTToR

Selecting a rod or rods is very subjective and akin to "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Consequently, no comment. As for reel sizes for walleye fishing, I prefer a smaller reel size than a 2500. Currently, I have three Stradic 1000s.

I use both of the St. Croix Eyecons you mentioned, they are both paired with a stradic ci4 1000 series. They are awesome rods, I also use either rod for jigging and throwing small jerkbaits for pickeral. I run them with 10lb nanofil and fluoro leaders. I've got 2 seasons on them now, and they are pretty much the only spinning combos that get put in the boat anymore. The 2500 size reel is overkill on these rods, and I've yet to come across a situation where the 1000 series won't do the trick, even with incidental musky to 15lbs.

Edited by porkpie

I don't like one piece rods, for the price if I break a tip I want to be able to replace just the tip not the whole thing, just my opinion though. As Tomcat said rod selection is pretty subjective. That being said, i got my buddy to get the 2 piece St. Croix Eyecon and it is a sweet rod. I use 2500's for all my jigging rods, the older models mind you, but I never thought they were too big or too small for that matter, I think the St. Croix Eyecon-Stradic is a sweet combo and I would be shocked if you weren't happy with it at the end of the day.

Depends what size walleye you'll be targeting...

I rig in the fall and our average walleye rigging is around 6lbs...

I use a 7' heavy or med heavy bait caster with 20-30lb braid....

I'd have a hard time controlling those big girls with a little spinning rod...

Hi Mike,

I've read a few of your posts in the past and we fish different water for the most part. This rig is for typical lake walleye in the 2-4 lb range. If I ever get out to the reach next fall I'll be using a totally diff. setup. One point tho, I was drop shotting for smallmouth this past summer, 6'3 ML spinning rod with 8lb mono. Ended up boating a PB pike that was north of 20lbs. I just took my time and kept the line from wrapping around her when she rolled. Took time and patience but I got it in the boat.

If you're boat fishing you may want to consider a rod in the 6' to 6'6" length.

Just curious why? All of my rods except one are north of 6'6". The upper row of my centre rod locker accommodates 8'6" Muskie rods w/o an issue.

The riggin' rod I'm looking into is to replace a 6'6" Medium weight, fast action spinning rod that I find is a touch heavy for this application most of the time.

Just personal preference, I like the control and that they are easier to store in the boats personally, but I also use a couple over 8'consistently and have never had an issue with either of the before mentioned. That being said, I would move to medium light before I moved up in length, just a thought I suppose.