ice fishing,an idea to attract fish and keep them there...

123chadder

have you ever seen a ball of smelt or herring go through your hole and a trout wizzing through stunning and eating baitfish?its quite the site...
i chum when i fish and it simply works...what if you were to take clear fine mesh,something easily plyable, filled it with minnows and sent it down a hole a couple feet from the hole you are fishing in,i think it would work very well in attracting fish!

maybe even put one small hole in the mesh,so one minnow could escape at a time,the mesh bag would take quite a while to lose all the minnows....sort of like a slow release chumming system

A simular tactic has been used for years.

Fill a glass jar(just small enough to fit through the hole)with water & a few minnows. Put a small hole in the lid & run a cord through it and tie some sort of stop(knot, washer, sinker ect)inside the lid. Also put a few extra small holes to let air excape. Attach lid and lower under the ice.

A simular tactic has been used for years.

Fill a glass jar(just small enough to fit through the hole)with water & a few minnows. Put a small hole in the lid & run a cord through it and tie some sort of stop(knot, washer, sinker ect)inside the lid. Also put a few extra small holes to let air excape. Attach lid and lower under the ice.

consider this the new and improved version

Edited by 123chadder

well i made up a new bait and technique for perch(didnt invent bait,its been around for millions of years) last year,just on a thought,now nobody outfishes me for perch ever!

it kills perch even when they are slow

If you do this on Simcoe, the herring would most likely take care of those minnows in about 3 seconds :) Try it out though, get it on video!

well if it brings herring in the trout will follow....

Terry .

I don't want to get into it but the regulations also include a section for chumming while ice fishing?.

I know you are aware of this.

It sounds like some of the new ice fishermen need to realise that it not about numbers its integrity that makes an angler.

Hopefully we can meet up out there this year?

Don.